The Broody Duck Thread for 2014

5 out of 5 fertile eggs ( 1 was not fertile and we threw it out a while ago), there's 9 left out of 12 KC eggs, the other 3 were not fertile and also thrown out but I haven't been able to candle them all for a week or more now so not sure if all 9 are still going as some ended up kicked out of the nest for up to an hour when the others were hatching
Them ducklings are pretty tuff hopefully the ones that got kicked out will still hatch. Congrats on 5 for 5 that's great.

well the incubator arrived today so we tested it was going fine then later tonight collected the remaining eggs of which I could only find 8... either one is totally buried or I miscounted how many I threw away from candling (tho I definitely put 12 under her and can only remember taking 3 away....) anyway, we candled as we put them into the bator and only 1 is internally piped and the rest have no movement at all that we can see, looks like they've all unfortunately given up
hit.gif
guess that happens with nature
I took some pic's but they don't really show much but here're some anyway

keen to try out the bator with some fresh ones now thought (once the only one has hatched)

well the incubator arrived today so we tested it was going fine then later tonight collected the remaining eggs of which I could only find 8... either one is totally buried or I miscounted how many I threw away from candling (tho I definitely put 12 under her and can only remember taking 3 away....) anyway, we candled as we put them into the bator and only 1 is internally piped and the rest have no movement at all that we can see, looks like they've all unfortunately given up
hit.gif
guess that happens with nature
I took some pic's but they don't really show much but here're some anyway

keen to try out the bator with some fresh ones now thought (once the only one has hatched)
Are you thinking just because only one internally pipped the rest are dead, not necessarily so they all have their own timetable so candle again in 24 hrs and see if there's a difference.
once the ducklings get so big inside the egg it's hard for them to move around.
fl.gif

My broody faked me out. I thought she was ready to sit on the eggs, nope. She only sits on them at night and is sitting on them for longer periods of time during the day. She spends about 35-40% of her time on the eggs and the rest she is foraging, hanging with her beau, or just relaxing. I guess it's just as well. I don't really need more ducks. I'm just so sick of the attitude that comes with a broody. She's driving me nuts!

Hi all, I have a basic question!
One of my runners has gone broody. She is currently sitting on 13eggs. If she stops laying but my other 4 girls carry on, they will lay in her nest and I will have 17 eggs, followed by 21 the next day etc. how do I know which eggs are the ones being incubated and which are 'today' eggs? I really want to avoid disturbing her by candling every day and I am worried that moving her will put her off, plus she is currently in a perfect cozy little corner.

Thanks,

Thom.

That is kinda what mine did also. At 1st she was sitting all night and late into the morning, but would get up and go out for a swim and forage all day. Then she started staying longer until noon and coming back in around 7. Now she stays on it all day other to come out and eat once around 5 and right back in. I go out and feed in the morning and then go back out around 10 to let them free range (after eggs have been laid) and then feed them again between 5-7 and lock em up. She is only eating some mealworms at night feeding, won't come out and eat in the morning at all.

Easter Saturday Surprise!

Mama showed up with 11 babies on Sat morning. Three went to new home already (pre-sold weeks ago) and 3 we are keeping. The rest are going to the poultry swap on Saturday to find new homes of their own. I got 5 more muscovies (and a rouen mama, and 6 more geese) on nests so it's senseless to keep the first batch. But they're so cute and fun!

Back
Top Bottom