The Buckeye Thread

As for traveling and attending if we all want to try we will find a way. It's difficult with other responsibilities but were there is a will there is a way. :)
Um, yes, I understand what he was telling everyone else. But I would still have to say, no, not really. You can have all the will in the world, but logistics rule the schedule. If you have a prior commitment, or an unexpected expense that leaves a hole in your budget for travel, or your farm sitter has something going on in *their* life, then in all likelihood, it won't be happening. You might be able to get away for a day to meet with your friends and look over the entries, but you will not be taking birds to the show. That is as true for someone brand new to the fancy planning to enter their first show as it is for a master exhibitor. For those willing to learn, exhibiting can be a wonderful, eye opening mini-education, and it's certainly fun, but it is not the end all, be all measure of a good poultry breeder. Just MHO, as always, YMMV.

It is difficult finding someone to watch over the animals when we are gone. I've been lucky so far and had a good helper who was available. We'll see if they get tired of it next spring when we start showing again.

I agree bucks are a great dual purpose animal. Any that don't have the type and color to go in the show pens in the spring will be used as layers or meat for the freezer. It's one breed I'll keep around forever.

Showing any animal can be fun with the right group of support but if you don't have that in your area then that person will end up getting a foul taste and will never do it again. As for the types of shows to part take in. My opinion is to stay small to mid size for a long time to learn as much as you can and to work on your line/strain against the SoP. Too many times people think that they can move up in the size of shows fast with less time in the smaller ones and this can really hurt them in the long run. But sometimes there are some who just have what it takes and don't have problems and can move up to larger shows. To each there own as long as they feel comfy thats good.

Do any of you force Molts and if so what time of the year do you do it so birds will be in peak show condition for spring shows.Also what time of the year do you do a preventative worming?

Do any of you force Molts and if so what time of the year do you do it so birds will be in peak show condition for spring shows.Also what time of the year do you do a preventative worming?

I don't force molt for show season.

Worming schedule is twice a year. October and April.

It is easy to force a molt but it is not good for the welfare of the bird. Simply put we should all care more for our fowl to respect them enough not to do that to them. There are a couple ways that I know to force a molt and both hurt the overall health of the birds involved.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom