The Buckeye Thread

It is easy to force a molt but it is not good for the welfare of the bird. Simply put we should all care more for our fowl to respect them enough not to do that to them. There are a couple ways that I know to force a molt and both hurt the overall health of the birds involved.
I totally agree with you Bluface3 I was just wondering if anyone did it. I respect my animals more than doing that to them.

Proper animal husbandry is of the upmost importance! We are all in this together be it the person who's had birds for years or the person looking to get their first set of birds! I personally admire the new people that are taking on birds for the first time! Oh what you are about to learn.....nothing like pulling biddies out from under a hen or out of an incubator for the first time! There are so many great life lessons poultry can teach you.

I didn't know it was possible to force a molt. How would you do that, and what would be the value of doing it?
Commercial laying houses have been force molting their flocks for decades. It was done to get the entire flock to stop laying, grow new feathers, rest and "reset" their reproductive systems to keep them laying marketable eggs for a second, sometimes even a third year. Nowdays, they just pack all the layers into trucks and send them off for soup sometime between 16 and 18 months, the first time production drops because they are so worn out from laying. Forced molting involved darkening the chicken house to imitate the naturally short days of fall, and reducing food and sometimes water for several days to two weeks to stress the bird into stopping laying completely and regrowing feathers. "Reducing feed" could mean giving the birds a lower quality feed, or decreasing their regular rations, or even withholding all feed. Isn't it pathetic that people found they could make money starving a barn full of birds so they will all drop their feathers at once?

Proper animal husbandry is of the upmost importance! We are all in this together be it the person who's had birds for years or the person looking to get their first set of birds! I personally admire the new people that are taking on birds for the first time! Oh what you are about to learn.....nothing like pulling biddies out from under a hen or out of an incubator for the first time! There are so many great life lessons poultry can teach you.

I completely agree.

Let's start with the basics to picking good stock to start with. If a person is going to breed and show Buckeyes or any other chicken they need to research the breed, breeders and go to shows to observe the birds in person.

If the legwork of research has been done then approach a breeder to set up a visit to their farm to see the birds in person. Then you can see if their show stock is consistent at home. Take the SOP with you or memorize it for the breed you've selected. Then you are well armed to pick the start of your new breeding program.

I completely agree.

Let's start with the basics to picking good stock to start with. If a person is going to breed and show Buckeyes or any other chicken they need to research the breed, breeders and go to shows to observe the birds in person.

If the legwork of research has been done then approach a breeder to set up a visit to their farm to see the birds in person. Then you can see if their show stock is consistent at home. Take the SOP with you or memorize it for the breed you've selected. Then you are well armed to pick the start of your new breeding program.
However.....
A person cannot always find a breeder within a reasonable distance due to the fact that some areas, there just aren't any Buckeyes to be seen. So then you might ask them to send you plenty of pictures of their actual breeding birds or a video is even better. Any breeder who is worth scratch will take the time to talk to you about the birds they have to offer. A really good one will even tell you what they do and don't like about the birds they have and breed and what they are trying to improve.
It is also understandable that not every one is looking for that picture perfect champion show bird, some just need good birds that represent the breed well that they can enjoy as their backyard flock.

However.....
A person cannot always find a breeder within a reasonable distance due to the fact that some areas, there just aren't any Buckeyes to be seen.  So then you might ask them to send you plenty of pictures of their actual breeding birds or a video is even better.  Any breeder who is worth scratch will take the time to talk to you about the birds they have to offer.  A really good one will even tell you what they do and don't like  about the birds they have and breed and what they are trying to improve.  
It is also understandable that not every one is looking for that picture perfect champion show bird, some just need good birds that represent the breed well that they can enjoy as their backyard flock.

Correct! Picking your show stock or yard stock is similar to purchasing any other form of livestock or purebred dogs and cats. If you can't meet in person a lot of photos and questions.

Speaking of show stock versus utility/barnyard stock. What are some of the differences between the two? I spoke with a very good buckeye judge here recently and he also mentioned that there is definitely a difference between the two. This can be said with many breeds of poultry. What are some of the differences between the two?

I guess as we get into this phase. For us, it's getting out the SOP, looking closely at those that have the best attributes such as the tighter combs wing carriage etc. and marking them for possible shows in the spring. We have let those possible show birds free range this fall and the cull rooster pen will get another once over before we butcher soon.
We definitely have barn yard bucks and Cornish for meat and egg production. And now we have seen a few of the cockerels that may just make it to the show cage. Should be a fun spring for us. I'd love to hear other members ideas of what to look for in show vs utility. Will help us make some choices here soon.

Back
Top Bottom