The Buckeye Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Happy Chooks, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Blueface

Blueface Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2011
    The Buckeye State
    E
    Excellent post! Thanks for contributing!!

2. dudefromtampa

dudefromtampa Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2012
    Thanks. There are a couple two or three breeds we want to add in addition to those I mentioned. So many choices. It pays to do research.

3. dudefromtampa

Apr 29, 2012
    No way a Steeler (or Eagles) fan! I'm from Tampa (so unfortunately this year I haven't been able to brag much about my team). This will make my 4th Winter in PA. I have to admit that I've grown to really like it up here here.

1 person likes this.
  4. HappyBuckeye

HappyBuckeye Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2013
    Pa Farmer 24, I rarely if ever use an incubator. I do have a large incubator, but mostly I just let my chickens cycle through and go broody as their instincts direct them. Even this time of year, I have hens laying and sitting on eggs. I figure they know better than me, if the time is right and if they have the stamina for it. I don't provide brooding facilities or artificial light. I just let nature take it's course and they hatch many chicks every year all through the year except in the very harshest cold or heat. If I do start up the incubator it is because I am getting an abundance of eggs and hens that are trying to go broody. The whole purpose of the chickens laying eggs is to procreate after all. If they are laying, then why not hatch?

1 person likes this.
  5. Blueface

Blueface Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2011
    The Buckeye State

My feathers aren't ruffled at all. Different people do different things. Pushing a flock that hard probably isn't advisable. I personably don't mind raising young in the colder months, it just takes more time and effort to ensure they survive. When I hatch; I do it on the hen's time table and not my own :)

1 person likes this.
  6. dudefromtampa

Apr 29, 2012
    For a few years in a row there, there were some good match-ups with your Ohio State Buckeyes (and the Gators) though. In basketball and football. Now, even my Gators have fallen in the rankings.

1 person likes this.
  7. slfarms

slfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2013

I agree with blueface. If my hens are laying dec-march I start the hatch process with an incubator. I will add a little more light in the barn (two hours) starting in December. But the goal for me is show birds for Fall.

As for raising the chicks I have brooders with air filters set up in the house that the chicks use until almost full feathered and then they are moved out to the barn into horse troughs with heat lamps added. :)

8. campbellorchard

campbellorchard Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2013
    Dola, Ohio
    I enjoy this thread so much. The amount of knowledge and experience back yard and show included is so great for a person like myself. I am learning so much and just wanted to say thanks. And thanks for letting me ask questions that may not always be on current topic. Also nice to see new faces popping up and adding to the great conversation. I also am excited to visit my local TSC soon and get my own copy of the hobby magazine featuring the Buckeyes! They better not run out! Lol
    And I enjoy seeing those old pictures nice to see those are still around to reference.
    Have a safe day everyone.

3 people like this.
  9. slfarms

slfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2013

:). Thanks for the reminder I need to head into town at lunch time and buy a copy as well.

10. buckeyechicken

buckeyechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2013
    My Coop

If my chickens are laying and I have no where to go with the eggs, I will incubate them, I had rather get baby chicks as to let the eggs go bad. My winter are not as harsh as the ones up north, so it is not as stressful on the chicks. I don't recommend Doing pullet eggs because of the low hatch rate, and the hens have not fully developed. But I will hatch them out just to see what I get if they do not meet MY standards I have a place for them. I turn my lights off when time changes, to give my chickens a rest but mine have not went through their molt this year, and my egg production is around 6-7 eggs a day, with average weight of 1.6 oz.. Mother nature will run its course and when they stop laying they will get a rest. If you do hatch out in late fall winter months make sure you are set up to handle what you hatch out, you brought them into the world so make sure they have a happy life.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by