The Buckeye Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Happy Chooks, Jul 10, 2013.

1. buffalogal

buffalogal Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2010
    Well, the Black Breasted Red game isn't exactly a "fluffy butt". [​IMG]
    Which picture are you referring to?

2. slfarms

slfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2013
    Well, the Black Breasted Red game isn't exactly a "fluffy butt". :rolleyes:

Which picture are you referring to?

[/
    How much experience have you had with the black breasted Red game? The breed is no where the size in body as the Indian games both in breast and thigh. .

What is your opinion on where the pea comb came from on the buckeye?

The pic was the same as you were referring to the one blueface posted :)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  3. HappyBuckeye

HappyBuckeye Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2013
    This is all so confusing....from those pictures, the Buckeyes from back then were not so fluffy as the Buckeyes at the Columbus show. I was beginning to think something was wrong with my Buckeyes, but for what you all are saying, they're not supposed to be really fluffy so I guess I'm on the right track.

1 person likes this.
  4. dudefromtampa

dudefromtampa Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2012
    I have my fair share or mice/rats and am seriously considering starting a Buckeye flock. Can anyone recommend a good seller?

Thanks

5. Blueface

Blueface Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2011
    The Buckeye State
    Welcome to the thread HappyBuckeye! I wish we could have bumped into each other in Lucasville! Next time you go to a show; PM me so we can meet. Depending on where you are located; you're more than welcome to stop by my farm if its convenient! Thanks for being apart of the thread!

1 person likes this.
  6. Blueface

Oct 5, 2011
    The Buckeye State

I sent you a PM

7. buffalogal

Nov 28, 2010

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  8. Blueface

Oct 5, 2011
    The Buckeye State
    You are absolutely correct; as a matter of fact that very trait of the buckeyes being so docile is why the breed has become a cornerstone on my farm. The breed is great around my children! Best of luck with your fowl :)

1 person likes this.
  9. Blueface

Oct 5, 2011
    The Buckeye State
    Regarding the black breasted game; if you knew what they are and what they look like then you would realize that there is no way this breed or the Cochins or even the rocks for that matter could add the muscular density the buckeye breed has in the thighs and breast. This muscular density is attributed to the introduction of the indian game/cornish. The black breasted reds aren't even in the same ballpark in size. Plus the the black breasted red game are somewhat tight feathered but nothing that would compliment or contradict the loose feathering in the Cochins or Rocks. So this indeed would leave one to come to the conclusion that the Indian game did in fact have a rather large contribution to what the buckeye has come to be today. I agree that the buckeye is not simply a modified Cornish but the breed has several strong Cornish traits that can be observed in the comb, head, overall type (shape and density of breast and thighs) and even contributions in the tighter plumage. But then again; this was understood throughout because it was realized that other breeds were also utilized in the development of the breed. I mentioned this in post 1276 with selective breedings that Mrs. Metcalf selected for her vision of her breed.

10. buffalogal

Nov 28, 2010
    I agree. They were apparently not as fluffy and certainly not anywhere near as "jacked up" as the ones I've seen pictures of winning at shows either. I attribute that to fashion, the thinking being that if a bird with little pouf gets noticed by a Judge and wins, alot will make an even bigger impression. That's what will be shown and tha's what will be bred and that's what people will begin to think is correct. That's just human nature. For example, German Shepherd Dogs didn't always slink around half crouched on wobbly back legs because they aren't suited for anything but moving at a flying trot. That horrific deformity came about as a result of breeders noticing that dogs with an overangulated rear assembly had incredible drive, and combined with a good reach in front, made a strong impression on the judges. Those dogs won, and were bred and the trait was exaggerated until the "show ring" version of the GSD is practically crippled. Fortunately, poultry has an automatic check on fads, called the Standard of perfection. When breeders follow the SoP the breed stays true to it's origins.

11. buffalogal

Nov 28, 2010
    Joe, Sarah didn't ask about "muscular density" she specifically asked about feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by