The Buckeye Thread

So what is your opinion why the buckeye is tighter feathered in comparison to the other American breeds and what breed could have made that trait so apparent?

That picture is hardly a "transformer" because it appears properly built and proportional balanced.

1f616.png
Well, the Black Breasted Red game isn't exactly a "fluffy butt".
roll.png

Which picture are you referring to?

Well, the Black Breasted Red game isn't exactly a "fluffy butt". :rolleyes:

Which picture are you referring to?

[/
How much experience have you had with the black breasted Red game? The breed is no where the size in body as the Indian games both in breast and thigh. .

What is your opinion on where the pea comb came from on the buckeye?

The pic was the same as you were referring to the one blueface posted :)

Last edited:
Okay, found two more, apparently from the same source: It makes me smile to see that even 100 years ago, people were naming their favorite chickens. :D
This is all so confusing....from those pictures, the Buckeyes from back then were not so fluffy as the Buckeyes at the Columbus show. I was beginning to think something was wrong with my Buckeyes, but for what you all are saying, they're not supposed to be really fluffy so I guess I'm on the right track.

I have my fair share or mice/rats and am seriously considering starting a Buckeye flock. Can anyone recommend a good seller?

Thanks

Welcome to the thread HappyBuckeye! I wish we could have bumped into each other in Lucasville! Next time you go to a show; PM me so we can meet. Depending on where you are located; you're more than welcome to stop by my farm if its convenient! Thanks for being apart of the thread!

Quote: How much experience do I need? I know what they are and I'm aware of what they look like. What do the breast and thigh have to do with whether or not a bird is tight feathered? The point is that the Buckeye is not simply a modified Cornish with a prettier tail, it is a composite of at least four breeds.

"What is your opinion on where the pea comb came from on the buckeye?"
I've already commented on that, but the thread moves so fast it's easy to overlook things. As the other breeds have a single comb, it's pretty obvious. Please see post #1275

When you wrote "proportional balanced" I thought you might have meant the old Buckeye picture. But okay, to compare the old Buckeye with the old Cornish:

Allowing for the fact that one bird is pictured in profile and the other 3/4 perspective, to my eye, the bird on the left, the Buckeye, is balanced, while the old Indian game appears to have massive feet, long legs, a huge chest, a short neck and a teeny, tiny head. Almost cartoonish in it's proportions. (not because of how it was drawn, but because of how it was built)

Of course, everything is beautiful in it's own way, so if you see the Cornish as balanced that's fine. However, I can't help but think transformer.
smile.png

Last edited:
A dual purpose bird should be of practical value on a family farm. A nasty bird is of limited value if it is not safe around children. My Buckeye and BLRW roost are super nice. But I have chosen not to breed the nasty roosters I have encountered (Polish Crested and Welsummer, in these cases).

You are absolutely correct; as a matter of fact that very trait of the buckeyes being so docile is why the breed has become a cornerstone on my farm. The breed is great around my children! Best of luck with your fowl :)

How much experience do I need? I know what they are and I'm aware of what they look like. What do the breast and thigh have to do with whether or not a bird is tight feathered? The point is that the Buckeye is not simply a modified Cornish with a prettier tail, it is a composite of at least four breeds.

"What is your opinion on where the pea comb came from on the buckeye?"

I've already commented on that, but the thread moves so fast it's easy to overlook things. As the other breeds have a single comb, it's pretty obvious. Please see post #1275

When you wrote "proportional balanced" I thought you might have meant the old Buckeye picture. But okay, to compare the old Buckeye with the old Cornish:

Regarding the black breasted game; if you knew what they are and what they look like then you would realize that there is no way this breed or the Cochins or even the rocks for that matter could add the muscular density the buckeye breed has in the thighs and breast. This muscular density is attributed to the introduction of the indian game/cornish. The black breasted reds aren't even in the same ballpark in size. Plus the the black breasted red game are somewhat tight feathered but nothing that would compliment or contradict the loose feathering in the Cochins or Rocks. So this indeed would leave one to come to the conclusion that the Indian game did in fact have a rather large contribution to what the buckeye has come to be today. I agree that the buckeye is not simply a modified Cornish but the breed has several strong Cornish traits that can be observed in the comb, head, overall type (shape and density of breast and thighs) and even contributions in the tighter plumage. But then again; this was understood throughout because it was realized that other breeds were also utilized in the development of the breed. I mentioned this in post 1276 with selective breedings that Mrs. Metcalf selected for her vision of her breed.

This is all so confusing....from those pictures, the Buckeyes from back then were not so fluffy as the Buckeyes at the Columbus show. I was beginning to think something was wrong with my Buckeyes, but for what you all are saying, they're not supposed to be really fluffy so I guess I'm on the right track.
I agree. They were apparently not as fluffy and certainly not anywhere near as "jacked up" as the ones I've seen pictures of winning at shows either. I attribute that to fashion, the thinking being that if a bird with little pouf gets noticed by a Judge and wins, alot will make an even bigger impression. That's what will be shown and tha's what will be bred and that's what people will begin to think is correct. That's just human nature. For example, German Shepherd Dogs didn't always slink around half crouched on wobbly back legs because they aren't suited for anything but moving at a flying trot. That horrific deformity came about as a result of breeders noticing that dogs with an overangulated rear assembly had incredible drive, and combined with a good reach in front, made a strong impression on the judges. Those dogs won, and were bred and the trait was exaggerated until the "show ring" version of the GSD is practically crippled. Fortunately, poultry has an automatic check on fads, called the Standard of perfection. When breeders follow the SoP the breed stays true to it's origins.

Back
Top Bottom