The Buckeye Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Happy Chooks, Jul 10, 2013.

1. fowlman01

fowlman01 Overrun With Chickens

Sep 2, 2010
    Sonoma County CA
    The APA Standard says this about the legs on a buckeye.: Legs set well apart, straight when viewed from the front. To add to that, I have never seen a chicken with legs too far apart. it is almost always too close together. Buckeyes are composed of: Dark Cornish, BBR Game, buff Cochin and barred Plymouth Rock. They resemble the early Cornish of the 1905 period.
    The Cornish AND BBR Game contribute to the harder feather and muscular chest and thighs of the Buckeye.

Walt

4 people like this.
  2. campbellorchard

campbellorchard Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2013
    Dola, Ohio
    Walt,
    I read that as well in the standard and I went back through The words she wrote. I think we do have to understand that the birds then were different. And she used multiple crosses to get the beautiful conformation we see in the buckeye. Does it come down to ..... If your happy with the bucks in your yard ... Cool! If you see some things you would like to work on cool! I just want to be as true to her type of buckeye as I can be. And I love the clarity I receive on this thread to help me evaluate what I want in my yard and in our future show cages. To each their own (buckeyes). Lol

3. slfarms

slfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2013

Thank you Walt. :)

4. Lee

Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Marion County, IN
    I am very interested in the air filters you use. I brood mine in the garage and there is fluff dust on everything. Would those trap the fluff dust?

5. PA Farmer24

PA Farmer24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2012
    Butler County PA
    Easy on the Steeler stuff. How many super bowls does the little kitties have????

1 person likes this.
  6. slfarms

Jul 23, 2013

My father is an engineer. So he devised a filtration system with a fan that draws the air in the brooder up through the filters and out. This cuts all dander in the room and the broody box.

We use the black filter with finer cells then the white filter on top. Both of those can be bought online or local hardware store in rolls so you can cut them to the size of your fan box.

7. slfarms

Jul 23, 2013

Lord I'll see you your steelers and kitties and raise you the colts and broncos. Horses stomp all. ;-). Men and football. Shaking my head.

8. PA Farmer24

PA Farmer24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2012
    Butler County PA
    Steeler may not being having the season they want but again how many super bowls does your horses have???? [​IMG]

9. slfarms

Jul 23, 2013

At least the colts have made it to the Super Bowl twice in the last seven years and won once ;-p

Broncos are a new team for me. Follow the quarterback.

10. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    It probably does happen from time to time. I had a cockerel with feather stubs between his toes. They were super tiny, I had overlooked them when we were doing our evaluations and didn't notice until several months later when I had to cut off the zip-tie leg band we had been using for identification. I asked about it here, and there was some debate over whether it could be from some recessive gene inherited through the cochin background or if it was just a fluke that can happen sometimes with any species of poultry.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by