The Buckeye Thread

Pics
I agree with you that the proportions of the two depictions are not exactly the same so you have to adjust your eye for that. The 1915 SOP is an artist rendition where the artist can illustrate a standing bird perfectly. I trust the APA Judge got this right because he could handle the bird & feel the body underneath the feathers. There was at least one other breeder who showed Buckeyes at the show, Isn't that true, Laura? A good judge will go back and forth sometimes between two birds, handling them, feeling the differences -- you can only tell so much from a photo! Adjusting for the proportions, Laura's bird has the same overall shape as the 1915 SOP illustration.

When you actually see most Buckeyes in person, you will note their backs slope properly (slightly down toward the tail). Most photos do not convey the same. I have seen some photos of good birds that looks like their backs flip up. I suspect Laura's bird's back slopes slightly down. The back angles are NOT a problem area for the breed (although one would think looking at some of the photos).

I like seeing my birds in molt because I can see their shape really good and can see all the angles properly.
Yes, there were two other birds entered, both frankly, too young to be in the show.

I will say I was pleased with the judge's comment to me afterwards. He walked over to where I was sitting with friends and said "I would have made that Buckeye CH American but he's just a little too young. He'll be in good shape for Columbus."

I think he will...
wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Reserve Champion American Lebanon Poultry Show 2011. Owned by myself and daughter. Between him and the new buckeye line (Shumaker) we are working on breeding to Nettie's vision of what the Buckeye should be including the SOP description.
Nice bird slfarm. Could tighten that comb down, but a good well conditioned example of the Buckeye Breed. Great color too! Not too light with that orangey color you sometimes see.

Nice bird slfarm.  Could tighten that comb down, but a good well conditioned example of the Buckeye Breed.  Great color too!  Not too light with that orangey color you sometimes see.

You are correct about the comb it is on the large size and he also has a prominent eye which is why we bought a new line to breed across. The goal is to shrink down the comb, improve the eye and tail. Overall we are satisfied with the slating in the undercolor and his overall stature. All birds need improvement so pick the traits to improve and find the right hen to breed to. ;-)

Quote:
In this regard, I'm like you Buffalogal, as I see all the faults in my birds before I see it in others -- but isn't that the way it should be? I think it is because one is able to see them each and every day -- you have seen them in every way so IMHO, it is easier to find the faults [or it should be easier].

I agree with you that the proportions of the two depictions are not exactly the same so you have to adjust your eye for that. The 1915 SOP is an artist rendition where the artist can illustrate a standing bird perfectly. I trust the APA Judge got this right because he could handle the bird & feel the body underneath the feathers. There was at least one other breeder who showed Buckeyes at the show, Isn't that true, Laura? A good judge will go back and forth sometimes between two birds, handling them, feeling the differences -- you can only tell so much from a photo! Adjusting for the proportions, Laura's bird has the same overall shape as the 1915 SOP illustration.

When you actually see most Buckeyes in person, you will note their backs slope properly (slightly down toward the tail). Most photos do not convey the same. I have seen some photos of good birds that looks like their backs flip up. I suspect Laura's bird's back slopes slightly down. The back angles are NOT a problem area for the breed (although one would think looking at some of the photos).

I like seeing my birds in molt because I can see their shape really good and can see all the angles properly.
Photos are never a good way to truly evaluate a bird, as we all have stated. That is why I like to take several angles of each one when I want to share.
I have been sorting my flock all week. I pulled about 25 cockerels out yesterday and put them in the cull pasture. I suppose I am being very critical of them. I am sure some would scratch their heads as to why they went over the fence, but I am looking at the Standard of PERFECTION to gauge them against, and I suppose my standard has a check list they have to pass. So far, I have 3 in a pen to use either as breeders or show birds. I have about 20-25 more to go through and about 24 hens and pullets to sort and cut down to about 8 if they all pass the checklist. I figured I hatched well over 300 Buckeyes this year. Would have loved to have had all of them to pick from, but then I wouldn't be able to pay for feed. I do know there are certain ones that catch my eye over and over again from the time they are juvies on up, and those are usually the ones that are making it to another year on my farm. My next step will be to put them on a scale. Last year's breeding cock (that I lost due to a leg problem this summer) was at an even 8-pounds after I let him out of the pen with 10 hens all winter.
I am looking forward to putting a couple of my Bucks on the show table this coming weekend at our State Meet. It is getting cold here, but I know my birds are used to that.

Yes, there were two other birds entered, both frankly, too young to be in the show.

I will say I was pleased with the judge's comment to me afterwards. He walked over to where I was sitting with friends and said "I would have made that Buckeye CH American but he's just a little too young. He'll be in good shape for Columbus."

I think he will...
wink.png

Whatever the reasons, I am glad to see you showing again. I wish you the best at Ohio National & wish I could go . . .

Interesting comment regarding slate bar made by ABA President (and longtime poultry judge) Matt Lhamon today. He said (and I was given permission to quote him):

"I do have a pet peeve about some Buckeyes I see. They should have a little smut in the back but I am seeing some with complete slate undercolor and that is incorrect and make them appear way to dark on the surface! Seen several in the Junior show in Lucasville that way!"

I know some folks are going that way, but not all judges agree it's the right way to go, just fyi.

Back
Top Bottom