The Buckeye Thread

Pics
What do you folks do to get/keep the proper comb? Large/coarse combs seem to be a problem that I see when judging Buckeye's.

Walt

I am looking at offspring and selecting Roos and pullets (at 6-7 mths) that show a smaller tighter comb to breed with. Of course other traits are looked at as well in selection.

Walt how big is too large? And when you say course??? I put vit e oil on all my birds combs waddles and feet before the show

The Standard sez...Pea, moderately small. set close to the head. Some that I am seeing are big and some look like an indistinct blob. I can't see the rows of "peas".

Walt

I am looking at offspring and selecting Roos and pullets (at 6-7 mths) that show a smaller tighter comb to breed with. Of course other traits are looked at as well in selection.

That is good. Do you breed from young birds? Sometimes you don't see faults in young birds that show up as they mature.
w.

That is good. Do you breed from young birds? Sometimes you don't see faults in young birds that show up as they mature.
w.

No, I wait until one year minimum as I've seen offspring change after being marked as maybes for breeding. Bucks seem to be a slow maturing breed and in MHO we shouldn't be breeding them prior to a year of age.

The Standard sez...Pea, moderately small. set close to the head. Some that I am seeing are big and some look like an indistinct blob. I can't see the rows of "peas".

Walt
Can anyone provide pics that are close-ups of the combs so that Walt can comment?

Can anyone provide pics that are close-ups of the combs so that Walt can comment?

Here is one that is to large IMO

Picture 1,2,4 is the same rooster, 3 this is the only picture I have of the comb and they are not good pictures not focused very well from being enlarged

Back
Top Bottom