The Buckeye Thread

My thought on the young bird vs old bird scenario is that a well prepared cock bird will win hands down. I've not been to a show in the Midwest and seen where a cockerel takes champ row.

In buckeyes I've seen one cockerel do this but he was second-third generation so I would say that breeder has a firm grip on how to be consistent with the buckeyes as normally his birds are placed 1-4 and usually #1 lands on champ row. It's breeding and conditioning.

As for someone winning all the time there is one person who's name is well known in the industry Doug Akers. It's well known he is the one to beat in the American class in the Midwest and southern states. The breeder mentioned above has beat Doug. No small feat.

I don't know how many shows you all have been to, but what I posted is what I have seen since well before Joe was 7. I have shown and judged in many states and Canada that's just what I have seen. This is actual experience with no agenda. NO ONE wins all the time. I personally know most of the real breeders and more than likely have been to more shows than the average BYC person. Believe it or not. No one can win all the time and until you dominate a well known breeder it doesn't mean much to me.

w

I have never had a gray female Call duck like her but I have had better white Calls and east Indies than her. The 40k wins were the totals gained by beating mostly chickens. She was super grand champion of the show in several states and lots here in California. Pretty much done in 4 years of showing and reaching frequent flyer status.i don't name birds but I guess I should have called her "lucky".you can win one show by luck but not as many as she did with lots of different judges. Look through any PP from 87-89 and you will find her and the war that she started in the ABA. She was killing the chickens in these National shows so the ABA didn't want bantam ducks to compete against the chickens for best of show. Needless to say I was having a lot of fun.

w

Yet another moment when I wish that Poultry Press was archived with color PDFs.
cool.png
Newsprint just doesn't archive well. I'd buy the CDs...

Mules are against the rules in most kinds of horse shows for pretty much the same reason

Walt, I've been reading through some old, old threads, and in one of them you mentioned that pink showing through on yellow legs can be a feed issue. Can you be more specific about what characteristic I'd be looking at in my feed if I saw this? Do you feed different breeds of chickens differently based on white legs versus yellow legs?

I've been thinking a lot about feed lately. I'm using the King Pro-Am, but my feed store has been trying to get me to switch to something more people use. Do I switch or do I try to get more of my neighbors to use it?

Yet another moment when I wish that Poultry Press was archived with color PDFs.
cool.png
Newsprint just doesn't archive well. I'd buy the CDs...

Mules are against the rules in most kinds of horse shows for pretty much the same reason

In this county they race mules at the fair. In a 1/4 mile they will smoke a regular race horse. They open the gates , the mule drops it's ears and looks like it is shot from a cannon.
I get a lot of enjoyment winning with underestimated breeds.

Judges need to see Buckeyes in shows even if they are not perfect specimens. Buckeye breeders need to educate judges. We judges just don't see enough of them to give them the attention they deserve. Some breeds are very smart about how they promote. Most of it is through education, Educate the judges and the prospective owners. Articles, seminars, talking to judges etc. Go over the Standard with the judges. Have them handle the birds so they literally get a feel for the bird. Judges think Buckeyes are too small, but they don't weigh them, so it is up to the breeders to remind them that they are heavier than they look etc. There are lots of ways to promote breeds. pay attention to how large successful breed clubs operate and use the methods that work for Buckeye's. Push the attributes of the Buckeye like the late Mr Grant Malone did. Anytime he shook your hand you ended up with a Buckeye nut in your hand and then you got "the story". A lot of the interest in breeds is "the story". you have Nettie Metcalf.....a great story! I see it here..... but I don't read about it in Poultry Press or the APA yearbook etc. If the breeders on this thread would stay positive and promote the story I think you will have a great following.

The breed will be what the folks here make it The club that promotes the Buckeye in the most positive way will be the club that survives...seen it before and am currently seeing it with another breed at this moment. ...one of the clubs is gone for the most part. One stopped fighting and being negative one didn't......guess who thriving and who isn't.

Walt

FYI... Bob Gilbert was judging a show in Atlanta where he was struck by a car. The limited information I have is that while walking across the street he was struck by a car. Both legs were broken.

Quote:
Went to Atlanta and saw Bob yesterday and he looked rough. Bob had a rod put in on one leg where the femur was broken

and the other leg was broke (a compound fracture) between the knee and ankle -- in that leg, they put in a plate.

Bob wanted to talk birds and I thought it took his mind off of those serious things so I talked about his birds, my birds. Bob needs everyone's thoughts and prayers.

I'll keep him in my thoughts and prayers, Chris. Those are quite serious injuries.

Went to Atlanta and saw Bob yesterday and he looked rough. Bob had a rod put in on one leg where the femur was broken

and the other leg was broke (a compound fracture) between the knee and ankle -- in that leg, they put in a plate.

Bob wanted to talk birds and I thought it took his mind off of those serious things so I talked about his birds, my birds. Bob needs everyone's thoughts and prayers.
We will keep him in our prayers.

Back
Top Bottom