The Buckeye Thread

If you do find a source, make sure to research before buying. You could end up with a lot of work ahead of you if you don't!

How so?

Are there things I need to know about this particular breed, or just buying chickens in general?

If you do find a source, make sure to research before buying. You could end up with a lot of work ahead of you if you don't!

How so?

Are there things I need to know about this particular breed, or just buying chickens in general?

I would say in general, especially if you want true to breed chickens, bred to the Standard, you want to make sure the person you are getting eggs, chicks, etc. from is doing their job at culling out defects and mating to breed forward good characteristics.

Case in point, I know some people have been throwing RIR into the Mix with Buckeyes to darken them up or whatever they thought it would do. I just saw some in person recently that had definite single comb spikes in the middle of the pea comb to indicate this. They looked a little too flat long backed and brickshaped as well.

In a case like that, it will take a long while to get those unwanted traits out. You'll be much happier with your birds by making sure you start with what you want!

How so?

Always research clubs, breeders, APA standings and then visit their farms prior to buying.

Blueface has some of the best stock out there with consistent wins.

I would say in general, especially if you want true to breed chickens, bred to the Standard, you want to make sure the person you are getting eggs, chicks, etc. from is doing their job at culling out defects and mating to breed forward good characteristics.

Case in point, I know some people have been throwing RIR into the Mix with Buckeyes to darken them up or whatever they thought it would do. I just saw some in person recently that had definite single comb spikes in the middle of the pea comb to indicate this. They looked a little too flat long backed and brickshaped as well.

In a case like that, it will take a long while to get those unwanted traits out. You'll be much happier with your birds by making sure you start with what you want!

Interesting fact. Mixing an RIR with a buckeye doesn't achieve the end goal. A good breeder knows the foundation stock that Nettie used and IF they felt the need to go back to basics to fix existing stock that is to light they should have went that route. Or find a breeder that has dark stock and add that to their flock.

Issue is any outcross will take 3-5 years to perfect and cull out the traits you don't want.

You absolutely ruin the buckeye breed by incorporating the RIR.....in my opinion..,.a major league screw up across the entire bird!!!!!! Problems range from the head all of the way to the tail and all details in between!!! Shame on those people ruining the buckeye!!

I'm certainly no expert...either with chickens in general nor Buckeyes in particular but I do know that it's not all that uncommon for a single combed chick to be hatched into a clutch of pure Buckeyes. It happens...likely more than many folks will ever know.

I don't know the value of these single combed birds...They might do just fine in a breeding program or they might ought to be reduced to soup, but they are in some of the better, most highly respected flocks and I say that with total respect for the breeders and the breed that I have become so fond of..

Turk

I'm certainly no expert...either with chickens in general nor Buckeyes in particular but I do know that it's not all that uncommon for a single combed chick to be hatched into a clutch of pure Buckeyes.  It happens...likely more than many folks will ever know.

I don't know the value of these single combed birds...They might do just fine in a breeding program or they might ought to be reduced to soup, but they are in some of the better, most highly respected  flocks and I say that with total respect for the breeders and the breed that I have become so fond of..

Turk

Do you know the genetic makeup of the buckeye and how it was derived? It's quite possible it's a throw back gene.

I don't know how they survived an encounter with a mongoose, but lucky chicken. Most predators attack at night and it is done in a few seconds. I raise Asils and O Shamo's .....some of the toughest chickens around and they don't last when a predator shows up. The Shamo's males are as big as 17 lbs. People on here also say that their chickens have killed foxes. Well the foxes here kill Sebastopol geese that weigh 20 lbs. These are lovely stories, but chickens just don't do well fighting predators as a whole. Here is an O Shamo female with a rat. this is not a mouse, but a rat and this females is 11lbs. A predator would take her out in seconds. Walt
Wow...she is quite amazing. I've never seen a good specimen before via photo or at a show. And if that's a rat she is quite large. She weighs as much as my toy Aussie :-o

Do you know the genetic makeup of the buckeye and how it was derived? It's quite possible it's a throw back gene.

Perhaps, but I'm led to believe it occurs with some frequency in this line. I will not name the flock where this (these) youngsters can be found because I don't wan't to be drawn and quartered. I will say that they are NOT from any flocks that have been discussed over the last few days. It didn't surprise me..don't think it would surprise many others...especially those who are on the page...right NOW!!!

Turk

Given a couple days...I can get pics. They are NOT exhibition birds but did come from a particular breeding group. My yard man has them now...there are at least two cockerels and one pullet that is single combed.

I selected 6 young cockerels with excellent combs, great size and as good of conformation as I feel I need for a meat project I'm working on.

Last edited:
We are here to teach and inform. Maybe you should tell us what this particular line is so those who are new or seeking an additional line are aware of possible issues they may encounter!! All of this ssshhhhh?!?! We don't want to hurt anyone's feelings is ridiculous....what about the person that loses their hard earned money and time for that matter? What ever happened to helping the newbie or little guy staying informed? It is what it is....maybe people should pay better attention to what the heck they are doing!!!!

Back
Top Bottom