The Buckeye Thread

Buckeyes should have a nice, even dark red colour, the only visible black should be in the tail. But when crossed with Dark Cornish, which is a double laced bird, the offspring should end up dark red with single lacing. The lacing will most likely not be a very good even lacing like you'd see in a Wyandotte, since this is a first generation cross and the offspring will only have one copy of the lacing Pg gene.
I just saw your reply. Thanks. Mine must be Cornish cross then. That describes them perfectly

Ok thanks. I have two hatchery chicks in their fourth week. Both have lacing so I was wondering how good of specimens they were.

If your chicks are only 4 weeks, they haven't really gotten to their adult plumage. They will molt several times before reaching adult plumage. In the early stages, they may have buff on the tips and markings that look like lacing, but as they mature, their feathers should become solid red. If that lacing is still there when they are mature, then yes, they could be crossed with something else in that line that produces some odd markings. Big hatchery stock is often not right on the money for color or type either, most noticeably the size and weight of the birds.

If your chicks are only 4 weeks, they haven't really gotten to their adult plumage. They will molt several times before reaching adult plumage. In the early stages, they may have buff on the tips and markings that look like lacing, but as they mature, their feathers should become solid red. If that lacing is still there when they are mature, then yes, they could be crossed with something else in that line that produces some odd markings. Big hatchery stock is often not right on the money for color or type either, most noticeably the size and weight of the birds.
Thanks Minnie
Heres a couple snaps of the too of them from yesterday. Its only of their feathers. I think I may have roos, in fact. At least one of them.

Chick 1

Chick 2

@eagrbeavr there are some pics in post #4135 you can look at for examples of juvenile feathering and colour. Keep in mind there can be quite a bit of variety when they're so young still, but that should give you an idea.

Last edited:
smile.png
If you scroll back through the few weeks before that post, there are some more chick pics, but that post has a nice pic of the chick's back, showing the feathers and the desired undercolour.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom