The Buckeye Thread

I have a chick question. If the ground colour of the first feathers of the chick is pale, almost orange, does that mean that the adult will be too light as well?

The fluff color at the base of the wing will be lighter than the color of the upper part where there are barbs. The difference I suggest looking for is if it is an orangey or yellow fluff, or is it just a lighter shade of red? More than anything experience seeing the difference is going to help you make up your mind, however, it needs to be red fluff and not the others.

You also have to consider you are looking at a very young chick. You will see things on those first feathers like buff edging and some patterning appearance but that all drops out when more mature feathering comes in. Remember they molt like 7 times before they hit their adult plumage, so unless there are glaring faults as chicks, you should give them time. Also, experience will show you to some extent, some of the earlier differences in color to watch for. Not all that detail stuff can be told to you, you have to see it to tell. Color is often subjective when looking at the SOP. What one person believes is "reddish bay", may not be someone else's idea of it. There are quite a few descriptions of color that are "in the eye of the beholder" so to speak. Some of that is comparative and if you only look at one bird and try to assest, for example, "Is it's back long enough?" If you don't have something else to compare it to to know what constitutes "long", then you may not be able to truly determine unless you have experience with various birds or breeds. I hope that makes sense?

You also have to consider you are looking at a very young chick. You will see things on those first feathers like buff edging and some patterning appearance but that all drops out when more mature feathering comes in. Remember they molt like 7 times before they hit their adult plumage, so unless there are glaring faults as chicks, you should give them time. Also, experience will show you to some extent, some of the earlier differences in color to watch for. Not all that detail stuff can be told to you, you have to see it to tell. Color is often subjective when looking at the SOP. What one person believes is "reddish bay", may not be someone else's idea of it. There are quite a few descriptions of color that are "in the eye of the beholder" so to speak. Some of that is comparative and if you only look at one bird and try to assest, for example, "Is it's back long enough?" If you don't have something else to compare it to to know what constitutes "long", then you may not be able to truly determine unless you have experience with various birds or breeds. I hope that makes sense?

It does make sense, thanks. I did know that the chicks were often mottled at first, which was a surprise last year - I thought they were crossed with speckled sussex or something when I first saw that. I did find that with so few Buckeyes last year to choose from, it was tough to get an idea of the range of chick colours and shapes. I'm just wondering if a chick's first feathers have too pale a red, if this carries over into adulthood (I don't want any buff buckeyes
wink.png
............. although that might be nice.... looks good on Brahmas!!)

If you look at them at 2 months and really think they look orange or buff, then you are probably good in cutting them from the breeding flock. I find mine darken with each molt, in the first year.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom