The Buckeye Thread

View attachment 1537186 View attachment 1537187
How do you think this cockerel is turning out? :)
He might turn out small though, and his eyes aren't quite the color they need to be. That could just be the camera.
His eyes look reddish bay to me. What is his age here? (His exact age makes all the difference in the world when assessing.) How much he weigh (and give age at time weight taken)?

His eyes look reddish bay to me. What is his age here? (His exact age makes all the difference in the world when assessing.) How much he weigh (and give age at time weight taken)?
He was about six months then. So seven now. I haven't weighed him yet though.
(I found a better one now. The other one just didn't look good for pictures because the tail feathers were still growing in.)

Hi! Planning ahead for spring... I've been wanting to get some Buckeyes for years. I tried ordering some from Meyer last Fall and they all arrived dead.. :( Won't be making that mistake again. I'm looking for certain characteristics and I guess I should be a bit more picky on a source. Looking for a line that's been selectively bred to be a good heavy table bird, egg production is low on priority as we don't go through that many eggs. They should be fairly smooth feathered so they handle the southern AZ heat well. I've seen pictures of Buckeyes that are so poofy and soft feathered with huge cushions like orpingtons, it's almost ridiculous. And they must have the awesome Buckeye personality that I'm always reading about! Easy going, predator saavy, mouse killers!
Is there anyone with a flock like that who'll be selling hatching eggs or chicks next Spring??? Please say yes. :jumpy:yesss::fl

Depends where you get them from.
My bantams from John Sullivan did good no matter the weather.
The LF from Wisconsin suffer from heat and are more prone to frostbite. Somehow one froze off his shrimpy wattles.
But John also has very healthy birds, and bantams are generally better at handling heat, so it may be more that than how they were acclimated.

Depends where you get them from.
My bantams from John Sullivan did good no matter the weather.
The LF from Wisconsin suffer from heat and are more prone to frostbite. Somehow one froze off his shrimpy wattles.
But John also has very healthy birds, and bantams are generally better at handling heat, so it may be more that than how they were acclimated.

Back
Top Bottom