• Other Hatchery

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • BYC member

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • Other

Votes: 32 29.1%

• Total voters
Pics
So excited that my Buff hen (my only buff hen, I have 1 buff drake also) went broody. And is sitting on 5 eggs. 4 of her own and 1 of a pekin. Kind of an odd time of year, but I can't wait to see those babies!!

Hi
This is my Buff orpington ducks
I live in Sweden
16jir1t.jpg

vyqzk7.jpg
Aren't they lovely!

I have two buff drakes and I LOVE them! They are always the first ones in the flock to greet me in the mornings! I think they are very friendly and BEAUTIFUL. The females are especially stunning. Its dark out now but I can post a picture tomorrow:)

I have one buff duck who thinks she's a chicken. There were ducks at the co-op last spring and it was an impulse buy - my husband talked me into 4 of them. Two buffs, one cayuga and one that looked like a tufted rouen, they were supposed to be straight run but I ended up with 4 females, which was lucky although we were searching the internet for what to do with all those eggs.

We have a small creek running through our property so I was a little worried they would float downstream. It took them most of the summer to figure out how to get down the bank and once they did, they were in heaven. Sadly, that's when they started disappearing during the day - one at a time. I didn't know what was going on until I saw two large dogs molesting my chickens. They killed the last three chicks from my late summer hatch. They also got yelled at, hit and chased off the property. Then I found this last buff in the pen that evening with blood on the back of her neck - it looked like something had been severed. She just freaked when I got near her so I figured the best thing was to leave her alone and put food at head-height because she couldn't lean down. Water at that height was a little difficult but after three days she left the chicken house and began hanging out with the chickens. Chickens and duck were kept in their dog-proof pen for the next three weeks and very unhappy about it. My buff seems fine now, but keeps trying to get my buff orpington rooster's attention, poor thing.

I'm not sure whether to try getting her a companion, find a home for her, or leave well enough alone. She hangs out with the chickens during the day and goes where they go and has her own special pool in the pen. I have this feeling the dogs came from upstream so if she has company they will go wading and catch the dogs attention again.
sad.png

I am so sorry for your losses
1f622.png
. I recetly lost one of my buff ducks to a hawk. It was heartbreaking.

I finally learned enough about ducks on this site that I know what my duck is doing! She's exhibiting flirtatious "come hither" behavior to my rooster!

lau.gif

Silly duck.

She's getting friends this spring.

Back
Top Bottom