The Build Begins!

I thought your posts were wobbling because they weren't set yet (as no hole was dug yet). If they are wobbling after they are in the holes, you may need to pull them out and try again (not in the exact same spot). Either or both deeper or with more attention to the tamping (put a little soil in, pound it down. put a little more in, over and over). It is easier to tamp it solidly if the hole is just a little bigger than the post.

Day ?? Coop is partially assembled! I'm so tired. Does it ever end? I'm too tired to even think of questions. Hopefully this thread will be useful to give a new builder a time perspective someday.
I know a common refrain is to finish your coop build before you get your birds, but honestly, I don't know if I could do this without a growing flock staring me down every day. This is a really intimidating task way out of my wheelhouse, but on the flip side I couldn't finish this if I hadn't started MONTHS ago. I've been honing in this design for almost a year so I definitely don't recommend getting chicks and then starting from scratch.
In conclusion, this is hard but it's starting to come together. 278029075_842104346747951_5196191535271155732_n.jpg 278285182_1001837257363390_6881994804941205003_n.jpg 278429109_1080487889349100_2226827321016153302_n.jpg

Quick update of the good, the bad, and the ugly.
The good: I think all I have left is trim work, latches, and fencing over the top. Currently trying to figure out how to have the 2x4 fencing enclosing the top without sagging. PVC frame? A pallet ridge cap? TBD, but currently the top is enclosed with deer fencing and twine lines as a deterrent.
IMG_20220426_080918768.jpg IMG_20220426_080942639.jpg
I'm really happy with the layout, location, and size of the run. The run is roughly 20x20, partially shaded, and between the house and the garden. I'm also really happy with how the coop is coming together. I actually started building the coop almost a year ago before moving, but had to leave things in pieces for transport. So it's awesome that the roof, walls, and base all made it to site for assembly without getting too warped or damaged.
278910835_1036812257199182_6337420377890071510_n.jpg
So this side is accessible outside of the run, nest boxes, and a door for adding bedding. The front is the pop door to the run, and the back is the clean out door.
278947075_1181447359335223_3326585586083960811_n.jpg
This side is intentionally open for expansion. Definitely open to advice on how to go about that. Speaking of expansion.
The bad: I think the coop is too small, and I'm not sure if an oversized run will keep the girls happy. I cut a coop for 4, moved, bought 8, lost 2, so it's been a series of adjustments. Food and water are definitely going to be outside of the coop.
coopagram.png
Would you prioritize an auto door or a coop expansion? Assuming that both will happen when money/time allows, which would you put first?

The ugly. I lost my favorite chick to a cat. I knew their run wasn't secure yet, but their brooder is way too small so I had them out with me. I went inside to grab something, and I saw a cat hop in and grab my girl. I ran out and caught that stupid cat with my bird in its mouth, but I was too late to save her. It's entirely my fault, and it's hard to stop thinking about it. I haven't left them unsupervised since, and the pressure is on.
This was Katya, my frizzle EE. I loved her a lot.
katya6weeks.jpg

Expansion.

I don't think anyone has ever regretted making their coop bigger.
Ok after more thought let me rephrase that question. Will an auto door (that I can install in a day) do anything to buy more time before an expansion (that's going to take weeks)? Or would it just be a convenience item? An expansion is going to take a hot minute, I lost all my tools when some jerk broke into my garage last summer and I've been doing this build with an impact driver and handsaws. So there's no way I can cut an expansion with my current tools. In a lot of ways I'm stuck assembling what's already cut for rn, so a prefab door would be something I could get done way sooner. But to clarify, an expansion is gonna happen. It's more a question of timing.

Ok after more thought let me rephrase that question. Will an auto door (that I can install in a day) do anything to buy more time before an expansion (that's going to take weeks)? Or would it just be a convenience item? An expansion is going to take a hot minute, I lost all my tools when some jerk broke into my garage last summer and I've been doing this build with an impact driver and handsaws. So there's no way I can cut an expansion with my current tools. In a lot of ways I'm stuck assembling what's already cut for rn, so a prefab door would be something I could get done way sooner. But to clarify, an expansion is gonna happen. It's more a question of timing.

I'm inclined to think of an auto door as a convenience, but having reliable access to the run at every daylight moment *can* help with crowding issues.

That's despicable that your tools were stolen!

Okay so I'm trying to figure out how to expand this, and here's what I'm thinking. Basically I'm planning to build a mirror addition. Same height, roofline, window placement, pop door, clean out door, but without the nest boxes. So I'm thinking about having a sliding door where the brown square is so it could function as one coop or two if need be. The pink stars are where the roosts currently are. I'm probably going to remove the back roost so they have more room to get up and down when they're older, but tbd. Thoughts? expansion.png

Okay so I'm trying to figure out how to expand this, and here's what I'm thinking. Basically I'm planning to build a mirror addition. Same height, roofline, window placement, pop door, clean out door, but without the nest boxes. So I'm thinking about having a sliding door where the brown square is so it could function as one coop or two if need be. The pink stars are where the roosts currently are. I'm probably going to remove the back roost so they have more room to get up and down when they're older, but tbd. Thoughts?View attachment 3082881

I don't see any reason that wouldn't work, though I would probably pull the entire wall myself to make it easier to manage bedding and reach everything.

Back
Top Bottom