The Bunny Chat Thread - For Bunny Owners

Also anyone know what breed he might be? From pictures on Google I think he could be a Rhinelander, but supposedly those are a rare breed? I’m not really sure so any help would be appreciated.
I don't know a lot about Rheinlander's but he sure does look like one. He may be a broken Rex though

Also anyone know what breed he might be? From pictures on Google I think he could be a Rhinelander, but supposedly those are a rare breed? I’m not really sure so any help would be appreciated.

I don't think he's a rhinelander, the color is wrong. He's got chestnut/castor color. Can you take a photo from the side and tell us how much he weighs? I suspect he's a rex mix.

Well, I stumbled upon this thread this morning, so I thought I might post a picture of my bunny, Toffi. We found him in my yard after (we guess) someone dumped him. It took him several months to warm up to us but he is super sweet now! His favorite place to sleep is in a terra-cotta planter we have on the windowsill!View attachment 2370334View attachment 2370335View attachment 2370337View attachment 2370338
He's so gorgeous and adorable!! All of my rabbits were finds that were dumped. My first two (one of whom I still have--he's been with me 8 years now) we found ourselves, and my other bun was adopted from a rescue but she had been dumped too. They are always the best pets!!

Here is a side pic. I used to have a Rex mix, and his coat is a different texture. When I look up Rhinelanders they have a ton of different color variations.
AEDE2D6C-7236-4151-A385-195F672578F0.jpeg

He's so gorgeous and adorable!! All of my rabbits were finds that were dumped. My first two (one of whom I still have--he's been with me 8 years now) we found ourselves, and my other bun was adopted from a rescue but she had been dumped too. They are always the best pets!!
They really are. He took a good while to warm up but I wouldn’t trade him for the world!

Rhinelanders only come in tricolor
" American Rabbit Breeders Association - white with black and orange markings and white with blue and fawn markings. " Rhinelanders never come in wild type agouti.

Also, rex is a recessive gene, so if you breed a rex to a non rex rabbit the fur comes out normal texture. I have a whole litter of rexXnz right now in my bunny barn and they're all normal fur. It's a really easy gene to work with. I think he's probably just charlie colored rather than a rhinelander - which is he has two copies of the broken gene resulting in minimal coloration. Though he could be a normal broken with a LOT of white. It's hard to say.

brokens-002.jpg

Rhinelanders only come in tricolor
" American Rabbit Breeders Association - white with black and orange markings and white with blue and fawn markings. " Rhinelanders never come in wild type agouti.

Also, rex is a recessive gene, so if you breed a rex to a non rex rabbit the fur comes out normal texture. I have a whole litter of rexXnz right now in my bunny barn and they're all normal fur. It's a really easy gene to work with. I think he's probably just charlie colored rather than a rhinelander - which is he has two copies of the broken gene resulting in minimal coloration. Though he could be a normal broken with a LOT of white. It's hard to say.

brokens-002.jpg
Ok thank you for this! This is why I love this forum! So many knowledgeable people. I think he must be a broken with a lot of white because he has a very distinct butterfly nose marking. Thanks for your help! 💗

Back
Top Bottom