The Bunny Chat Thread - For Bunny Owners

Hi,

anybody have house rabbits? rabbits they free range? what kinda trouble do they get into? how should I rabbit proof my house?
Hi :frow I know that @EverythingDucks has done lots of research on rabbit proofing a home. Hopefully she can drop by with some insight.

My rabbit proofing is still a work in progress lol.

Pros of a house rabbit: very entertaining, big personality, soft, cuddly, adorable. Can be litter trained and trained to come when called.

Cons: can be very destructive. Mine LOVES to chew. Cords, cables, books, furniture, carpet, wall corners, insulation; she is very curious and will “taste test” almost anything given the chance. Keeping stuff off the floor or on low shelves is important. As are cord protectors. And plenty of toys as an safe alternative to chewing on your house. Bunnies can also be territorial or even aggressive. Depends on the individual and whether or not they are fixed.

Hi :frow I know that @EverythingDucks has done lots of research on rabbit proofing a home. Hopefully she can drop by with some insight.

My rabbit proofing is still a work in progress lol.

Pros of a house rabbit: very entertaining, big personality, soft, cuddly, adorable. Can be litter trained and trained to come when called.

Cons: can be very destructive. Mine LOVES to chew. Cords, cables, books, furniture, carpet, wall corners, insulation; she is very curious and will “taste test” almost anything given the chance. Keeping stuff off the floor or on low shelves is important. As are cord protectors. And plenty of toys as an safe alternative to chewing on your house. Bunnies can also be territorial or even aggressive. Depends on the individual and whether or not they are fixed.

I just don't feel like I can provide a cage big enough. i think it would be easier to just let the rabbit have free range of the house. I know I need guards on the corners of the walls, covers for the cables, something on couch legs and chairs, guards along the baseboards, things off the floors, and lots of toys, as well as my rabbits will always be fixed.

I just don't feel like I can provide a cage big enough. i think it would be easier to just let the rabbit have free range of the house. I know I need guards on the corners of the walls, covers for the cables, something on couch legs and chairs, guards along the baseboards, things off the floors, and lots of toys, as well as my rabbits will always be fixed.
Initially you will probably need some way to contain the rabbit (cage, playpen, etc.) Just while the rabbit settles in and you trouble shoot any problems with your rabbit proofing. You will also want to be able to secure them when you are not around to supervise. It is amazing what they can get into sometimes.

Mine gets 4 to 8 hours of free range time per day. The rest of the time she is in her crate. That type of hybrid “home base” system may be an option.

Are you thinking of getting one from a breeder or shelter?

Initially you will probably need some way to contain the rabbit (cage, playpen, etc.) Just while the rabbit settles in and you trouble shoot any problems with your rabbit proofing. You will also want to be able to secure them when you are not around.

Mine gets 4 to 8 hours of free range time per day. The rest of the time she is in her crate. That type of hybrid “home base” system may be an option.

Yeah, troubleshooting and litter training. It would take up nearly half a room to build a suitable cage.

I will build a home base, but it probably wont be a cage, I might use a X-pen for when Im out of the house for a long time, but I'd like my home base to look like this: (isn't that so cute?)
Rabbit Subscription Box of Toys, Treats & Gifts _ Happy Bunny Club.jpeg

Free roam rabbits_bunny’s.jpeg

Yeah, troubleshooting and litter training. It would take up nearly half a room to build a suitable cage.

I will build a home base, but it probably wont be a cage, I might use a X-pen for when Im out of the house for a long time, but I'd like my home base to look like this: (isn't that so cute?) View attachment 2574553
View attachment 2574556
Oh my goodness those are adorable :love
A shelter may offer bunnies that are already spayed/ neutered which is nice since finding a good rabbit vet can be difficult. But either way I am sure you will be able to find an awesome pet. Are there particular breeds you are interested in?

Oh my goodness those are adorable :love
A shelter may offer bunnies that are already spayed/ neutered which is nice since finding a good rabbit vet can be difficult. But either way I am sure you will be able to find an awesome pet. Are there particular breeds you are interested in?

Harlequin (are those a breed, or just a color?), and any sort of lop mix. To be honest though, I just want a sweet rabbit. I don't care the breed.

Back
Top Bottom