The Bunny Chat Thread - For Bunny Owners

Hi folks! Hope you and your buns are all doing well. I have another question for the group. Now that the weather is starting to warm up, I would like to start taking Niven outside a few times a week for some additional exercise and mental stimulation. I was thinking that the easiest way to achieve this would be to let her have some (supervised) play time in the chicken run, while the chickens are out free ranging. Any reason not to do this? Or anything to watch out for? Thanks!
Well, I was told it wasnt a good idea but no real reason given (that I remember). They seemed to do fine. Tons of fun to convince them to get back in their cages though 🙄

Well, I was told it wasnt a good idea but no real reason given (that I remember). They seemed to do fine. Tons of fun to convince them to get back in their cages though 🙄
Thanks Fishy :hugs So this is something you have done before? I tried asking for advice on backyard herds too, but so far received only a short vague answer about “disease risks.” I won’t do it if there is a genuine risk...I just need to know exactly what those risks are. The benefit of the run is that it is the single most secure area on my entire property.

Of course you are right that getting her in and out would be its own challenge. She does have pretty good recall though (indoors at least). She will come when called even if it means leaving behind something interesting. Hopefully that plus bribes would be enough to get her back into a transport crate.

Thanks Fishy :hugs So this is something you have done before? I tried asking for advice on backyard herds too, but so far received only a short vague answer about “disease risks.” I won’t do it if there is a genuine risk...I just need to know exactly what those risks are. The benefit of the run is that it is the single most secure area on my entire property.

Of course you are right that getting her in and out would be its own challenge. She does have pretty good recall though (indoors at least). She will come when called even if it means leaving behind something interesting. Hopefully that plus bribes would be enough to get her back into a transport crate.
Yeah, thats what I got too. Here, watch this 🤣🤣
If you pin down these “disease risks” please let me know.

Looking for opinions on these two different sales ads I will post, please:

1) One male and one female San Juan rabbits for sale. This is a small breed. $35 each or $50 for both. They are a bonded pair, but have not produced a litter.

2) Large breed American Blue rabbit kits for sale. This is a dual purpose breed. They make great pets and are also a meat and fur breed. $50 each. Perfect for 4H! Due to the pandemic, I have not had them looked at by a show judge so I don't know how well they could do in a show.

Does anybody grow their own timothy grass for their rabbits? I've been thinking about trying to but I don't really know anything about it. One of my ducks kiddie pools got a little hole in it so I was thinking of maybe trying to just fill that with dirt and try growing some in there. It's only a foot deep would that be deep enough? Can timothy grow in Florida? Anybody who knows anything about growing it, advice would be appreciated.

Does anybody grow their own timothy grass for their rabbits? I've been thinking about trying to but I don't really know anything about it. One of my ducks kiddie pools got a little hole in it so I was thinking of maybe trying to just fill that with dirt and try growing some in there. It's only a foot deep would that be deep enough? Can timothy grow in Florida? Anybody who knows anything about growing it, advice would be appreciated.
Hay usually grows best in cooler climates. You could try growing it in fall and winter but a kiddie pool sized area probably won't be enough for your bunny.
I want to do the same but it's hard to find a hay that grows here and won't bother my allergies

I posted this on another bunny thread, but here is my little guy (dwarf lionhead). His name is Shino, short for Shinobi. He's currently fighting head tilt from an ear infection. It's been a couple weeks of touch and go, but he seems to be pulling through! Our next vet appointment is coming up and I'm hoping for good news.

Attachments

• IMG_20180826_092734_033.jpg
    IMG_20180826_092734_033.jpg
    318.5 KB · Views: 2
I posted this on another bunny thread, but here is my little guy (dwarf lionhead). His name is Shino, short for Shinobi. He's currently fighting head tilt from an ear infection. It's been a couple weeks of touch and go, but he seems to be pulling through! Our next vet appointment is coming up and I'm hoping for good news.
Beautiful bunnie!
Good luck on the vet appointment.

Hi folks! Hope you and your buns are all doing well. I have another question for the group. Now that the weather is starting to warm up, I would like to start taking Niven outside a few times a week for some additional exercise and mental stimulation. I was thinking that the easiest way to achieve this would be to let her have some (supervised) play time in the chicken run, while the chickens are out free ranging. Any reason not to do this? Or anything to watch out for? Thanks!
I see no reason to not let her in with the chickens???? I let my young buns has the whole run and sometimes free range in the aviary.......BUT they did eat up all the one kind of plant I had just put in!!!! :lau Just watch for digging! I let mine get a little too comfortable and big and they dug holes so deep, I thought my coop was going to fall into a hole!!!! My run is surrounded by a 12” concrete perimeter, so I don’t have to worry much about escape, but filling the huge holes back in really blows!!!!

I see no reason to not let her in with the chickens???? I let my young buns has the whole run and sometimes free range in the aviary.......BUT they did eat up all the one kind of plant I had just put in!!!! :lau Just watch for digging! I let mine get a little too comfortable and big and they dug holes so deep, I thought my coop was going to fall into a hole!!!! My run is surrounded by a 12” concrete perimeter, so I don’t have to worry much about escape, but filling the huge holes back in really blows!!!!
Have you considered leash training???? That could be fun too!!! A companion bunny!!!!

Back
Top Bottom