The Bunny Chat Thread - For Bunny Owners

Pics
Hello rabbit peoples! Two of my friends have rabbits and they are adorable. I don't think that I'll be getting one any time soon, but have some questions anyway because I like to plan ahead:
-How much space do rabbits need?
-What are the basic requirements for in their space?
- Is it recommended to have them indoors or outdoors? What kind of maintenance do they need?
-If I'm not interested in breeding them, what type would I get?
-Are you able to have a rabbit if you also have a cat?
I don't need answers to these, but if people don't mind it would be super helpful! Otherwise I won't intrude on your wonderful rabbit thread. Thank you!
Hi! I see you've gotten plenty of great replies, but I wanted to add a few things too. :)

For one thing, rabbits are actually very hardy. I think it's more a personal opinion about whether you keep them indoors or outdoors, honestly. So long as they are properly cared for, they can survive outside just fine.

Also, rabbits are very good at hiding injuries/sicknesses. A big thing to look for is lethargy and refusal to eat or drink. If you do get some rabbits, I highly suggest to do daily checks on their eyes, ears, mouth, and a feel over their whole body. (I typically do this when grooming or trimming nails, which is every few weeks).
That said, you can treat many ailments at home with rabbits, actually. And they don't need regular vet checkups, either, unless you prefer that.

Lastly, if they are just for pets I highly suggest you get a rescue! So many poor rabbits are dumped or given up, especially around Easter time. My one rabbit that I have had for over 8 years was a find on a trail, and my other one I currently have was gotten from a shelter, but she had been found in a college parking lot. It's nice to give unfortunate animals like these a good home.

Hi! I see you've gotten plenty of great replies, but I wanted to add a few things too. :)

For one thing, rabbits are actually very hardy. I think it's more a personal opinion about whether you keep them indoors or outdoors, honestly. So long as they are properly cared for, they can survive outside just fine.

Also, rabbits are very good at hiding injuries/sicknesses. A big thing to look for is lethargy and refusal to eat or drink. If you do get some rabbits, I highly suggest to do daily checks on their eyes, ears, mouth, and a feel over their whole body. (I typically do this when grooming or trimming nails, which is every few weeks).
That said, you can treat many ailments at home with rabbits, actually. And they don't need regular vet checkups, either, unless you prefer that.

Lastly, if they are just for pets I highly suggest you get a rescue! So many poor rabbits are dumped or given up, especially around Easter time. My one rabbit that I have had for over 8 years was a find on a trail, and my other one I currently have was gotten from a shelter, but she had been found in a college parking lot. It's nice to give unfortunate animals like these a good home.
I want to adopt a bunny some day

Ok! Now that I've heard the idea, I really like the idea of mine being able to roam freely in a few different rooms most of the time, but I will probably use a chicken tractor as a rabbit tractor. I know that chickens are very good at hiding sickness as well, so rabbits are similar? I agree that I would probably do it while grooming or nail trimming as well. I will definitely do a rescue! Based on what I've heard about people dumping their rabbits, they seem easy but are actually a bit more work! I think that I will definitely rescue one.

You say free range, like throughout the house. Is it possible to/will they naturally train them to only poop in the litter box? Do they require training like cats? I like the idea of letting mine roam throughout the house, but I don't like the idea of it pooping everywhere. I love the idea of getting a rescue! When the time comes, I will almost definitely do that. Thank you for all of your helpfulness!
Sorry for the late reply, I had to make lunch.
Yes, you can easily littler train them! Ince I finish my article I'll have lot of info on litter training, bunny proofing, free roaming, vet stuff, ect. I would get him/her fixed too.

When you first get him or her I wouldn't free range immediately. Keep him or her in a playpen like I mentioned before, and give him/her at least four hours of playtime. (I can't think of the word) but, they snooze during most of the day, and are most active at mornings and evenings. About two hours out of the pen in the morning, and two in the evening. When he/she is out, you can learn about his/her personality, and what he/she will chew on so you can better bunny proof. Theres a youtuber Lennon The Bunny aka Lorelai, and she leaves Lennon free roaming 24/6 even when she's gone. She has a lot of great info on free roaming, supplies, litter training, ect.

Ok! Now that I've heard the idea, I really like the idea of mine being able to roam freely in a few different rooms most of the time, but I will probably use a chicken tractor as a rabbit tractor. I know that chickens are very good at hiding sickness as well, so rabbits are similar? I agree that I would probably do it while grooming or nail trimming as well. I will definitely do a rescue! Based on what I've heard about people dumping their rabbits, they seem easy but are actually a bit more work! I think that I will definitely rescue one.
They’re a lot more work think of them like a cat or dog. They basically require more than them.

Also, I do think it is ok to keep them outside for meat, as long as they get proper exercise and care. These rabbits are a lot more hardy too. Just, remember that they can't just sit around all day. They are smart and energetic like dogs and cats, not just an easily disposable good.

Sorry for the late reply, I had to make lunch.
Yes, you can easily littler train them! Ince I finish my article I'll have lot of info on litter training, bunny proofing, free roaming, vet stuff, ect. I would get him/her fixed too.

When you first get him or her I wouldn't free range immediately. Keep him or her in a playpen like I mentioned before, and give him/her at least four hours of playtime. (I can't think of the word) but, they snooze during most of the day, and are most active at mornings and evenings. About two hours out of the pen in the morning, and two in the evening. When he/she is out, you can learn about his/her personality, and what he/she will chew on so you can better bunny proof. Theres a youtuber Lennon The Bunny aka Lorelai, and she leaves Lennon free roaming 24/6 even when she's gone. She has a lot of great info on free roaming, supplies, litter training, ect.
Thank you! I definitely will check out that channel. My main concern about free roaming at all was the pooping, I don't mind bunny proofing. I'm thinking that it would be a when I'm home, I could free roam, and when I'm not home I'd put him/her back in the hutch. (It's called a hutch, right?) Thank you for all the specifics on this! This has been so helpful!

Back
Top Bottom