The Bunny Chat Thread - For Bunny Owners

Pics
We were just hit with a rogue band that broke off and it didn't last long, it was much needed too. Although its not really dry its been hot with humid stale air and these hurricanes stir up the air and cool things down. Years without Hurricanes or Tropical Storms in the Mid Atlantic Region means hot stale miserable summers around here. We basically received the best absolute scenario where a short dark storm dropped enough water for plants but not enough for flooding, enough of a breeze to blow out stale air but not enough to do damage. It was the perfect Summer storm to break up the regular sticky humid air.
We got massive storms yesterday and it’s pouring out again. It’s been so dry so it’s a good thing. My gardens needed it. I can’t mow the lawn now though. That’s 1 thing I need to do soon. This wet weather makes our grass grow like crazy.

Thats why I went out of my way to start building pens for my rabbits, I bought standard Rex and I want to make sure they have a nice floor to hop around on.
I heard the reason why no one made a Giant Rex by breeding them with Flemish Giants is because the weight combined with thin fur lead to serious sore hock problems.
Yeah, we kept them in a hutch (with outside run around time) but I always provided mats and a tile for their feet. They are never without a break from the wire, but they usually like laying on it more than the mats aha. My two current rabbits though are going to get a run soon, so they'll only go in the hutch at night.

Oh yeah, I can imagine that'd be a big problem if someone tried to make a giant rex like that!

What treats are good for bunnies? I know most love bananas, apples, and carrots in small quantities. And I've read that dried pineapple can help break down ingested fur, as long as it's in a small amount since it has a lot of sugar.

Also, I'm writing about GI statics. Anything that I should know about it? I know that they need to have food in them at all times or they can die within 24 hours, but I need to research more.

Here's what I have so far based on the limited research I've done. I'll probably add more.

Diet:

A rabbit’s daily diet should include unlimited hay, fresh vegetables, and a few pellets. Grasses and hay, like Timothy or orchard, should make up the majority of your rabbit's diet. Hay is important because it is necessary for their digestive system, and it wares down their teeth.

Be sure not to feed them these harmful foods:

• Avocado
  • Silver beet
  • Iceberg lettuce
  • Cauliflower
  • Rhubarb
  • Potato’s
  • Walnuts
  • Peanut butter
  • Chocolate
  • Other pet food
  • Alfalfa Hay (for adults)
Treats should be fed in moderation. To many treats can be harmful, especially fruits high in sugar, such as carrots or pineapple.

• Fruits:
  • Bananas
  • Carrots
  • Apple
  • Dried pineapple
  • Raspberries
  • Strawberries
  • Greens:
  • Carrot tops
  • Celery stalks and tops
  • Broccoli leaves
  • Kale (in extra small amounts)
  • Herbs:
  • Peppermint
  • Coriander
  • Parsley
  • Basil
  • Thyme
  • Rosemary

What treats are good for bunnies? I know most love bananas, apples, and carrots in small quantities. And I've read that dried pineapple can help break down ingested fur, as long as it's in a small amount since it has a lot of sugar.

Also, I'm writing about GI statics. Anything that I should know about it? I know that they need to have food in them at all times or they can die within 24 hours, but I need to research more.

IMO there's 3 categories of "treat" foods for lists;

Genuinely toxic non-treats. These are things like chocolate, avocado, etc. that have specific chemicals in them that can kill your rabbit. Those are the "to avoid" list.

Then there's the "in moderation" list, which includes things that can cause problems but often don't. These are things like high sugar fruits, high calcium foods, or foods that cause gas like brassicas. These can be fed out in moderation or under specific circumstances. For example, alfalfa hay is probably on your "to avoid" list for its high levels of fat, protein and calcium that most rabbits don't need, but it's a regular part of the diet I give to my breeding does and kits. (Clover hay is similar in nutritional content to alfalfa, btw.)

Then there's the go ham list which is things like leafy greens, high fiber twigs and good veggies. And that's a LONG list. To make one that's truly comprehensive would literally take months.

The most common "treats" (and I barely consider them that because they're more like part of their diet) that my rabbits get are;
Broadleaf, ribwort and Black seed plantains
Dandelions
White heath asters
Sunflower seeds*
Rolled oats
Rose, apple, pear, quince and others in the same family (Leaves, branches and fruit)
Maple sticks/wood
Radish tops
Bell peppers
Banana chips*
Bananas*
Yogurt drops*
Clovers (red and white)
Corn stems
Fresh grass
Blackberries/raspberries/that whole family (leaves, stems and fruit)
Mulberry (leaves stems fruit)
Pea plants (not the pods, just leaves and stems)
Carrots*
Apple peels*
*(Sometimes foods, definitely treats only)

This is just what I can think of off the top of my head. This would be a list a mile long.

Greens but limit those with lots of oxalic (something) like spinach. Grapes, blueberries, edible flowers like nasturtiums or squash flowers, cukes, watermelon. Limit sweets but lots of greens and always have hay or orchard grass. Alfalfa isn't great, lots of calories they don't need. My buns really like old fashioned oats as well.

Back
Top Bottom