The Bunny Chat Thread - For Bunny Owners

Pics
Why... it’s normal to do that to a cat or so society thinks
I forgot to answer this one before 😂🤣🙈 but I definitely don’t think most people think like that because like every cat person I’ve talked to or read about has been adamantly against it as said how cruel it is, etc. so it’s shocking to me that a veterinarian, who you would think would be well trained, would recommend it.

I know a lot of people do it for their own convenience, so they don’t scratch stuff or whatever, but most good ones will say it’s cruel and try to talk them out of it.

They also sell little caps for the claws now and of course trimming the nails can help too so they’re dull and do less damage. And of course just getting them scratching posts and mats so they don’t go after furniture.

That said, Luna scratches the backs of most of our chairs and we don’t care 😂🤣 she’s also peed places and we just try to make the box more enticing or whatever. She’s still allowed to stay inside 🥰

Most people would probably dump her.

people do it for their own convenience, so they don’t scratch stuff
I would rather a cat scratch everything I own than remove their claws. I adapted my house to cats when they were too young to go outside, every piece of furniture was also cat furniture. Yeah it looked silly but it was comfortable to me and the cats had over 100 scratching posts at one time. I even gave them the option ... inside or out and they choose outside. Now that my one remaining cat is old she chooses inside for winter. I prefer her inside now since she won't catch mice, but she tends to get her way so she gets to live outside. She doesn't always get her way, she told me to get rid of the chickens and rabbits... not kidding, I can read cat body language. She hates them but I can't eat the cat, she doesn't lay eggs or give me milk, and her poop isn't any good for gardening so she has to put up with Chickens and Rabbits.

I would rather a cat scratch everything I own than remove their claws. I adapted my house to cats when they were too young to go outside, every piece of furniture was also cat furniture. Yeah it looked silly but it was comfortable to me and the cats had over 100 scratching posts at one time. I even gave them the option ... inside or out and they choose outside. Now that my one remaining cat is old she chooses inside for winter. I prefer her inside now since she won't catch mice, but she tends to get her way so she gets to live outside. She doesn't always get her way, she told me to get rid of the chickens and rabbits... not kidding, I can read cat body language. She hates them but I can't eat the cat, she doesn't lay eggs or give me milk, and her poop isn't any good for gardening so she has to put up with Chickens and Rabbits.
Yeah me too!! But sadly some people see animals as objects or status symbols or whatever and don’t want their “perfect house” ruined :(

Personally, I don’t care LOL

I love that you adapted the house and furniture! :love

And yeah, Luna mostly prefers to be inside these days. She used to prefer to be outside all the time but now she doesn’t really like being outside 😂🤣 she thinks she does and will beg or just run out but then she comes back in shortly after lol I think she must have seen something at one point cause she used to love it. Though she is also older now. 10 in a couple weeks. Now she spends most of her days sleeping in the warmest room in the house 😂🤣 if/when she does go outside, she mostly naps on the stones or pretends to be interested in hunting 😂🤣

She doesn’t seem to mind the chickens and mostly just leaves them alone and does her own thing. :)

Right now though she is strictly inside because I don’t know what she would do to my little chicks. I’m sure their mom would protect them but I don’t want to risk it. Plus it’s been too hot anyway and she doesn’t seem to want to go out lately.

Instead, she watches my parakeets with interest and naps 😂🤣

I do not even like clipping wings on chickens but I have had to do it a few times. Then I bought a giant roll of bird netting and covered all my chicken runs... with a few exceptions where meat birds or just non flighty birds end up.

I know it doesn't hurt them to clip the wings but I just feel guilty when I alter and animal
I don’t clip wings. Some of my chickens go into trees at night. I let them do it. I have a ton of coops, but some just like to be natural.

Yeah me too!! But sadly some people see animals as objects or status symbols or whatever and don’t want their “perfect house” ruined
If I had a house like that I wouldn't have indoor pets. I don't want to judge how others keep their animals but I will point out that a cats claws are equivalent to our fingers. Do you want to amputate the fingers of your pets? Thats all I ask people to do is to see it that way. Then what they do is their business. If I ever need a Vet I am seeking one that specializes in farm life and livestock. They seem to have their heads on straight, I figured out the game with the suburban/Urban type of vets, its just an industry searching for $$$ more than they earn money.

My male cat died last year, he was known for killing and maiming anything he could catch, he never touched a chick. He seemed to know they were mine and respected them. When I introduced him to the chicks I had a grip of the scruff of his neck. When he got slightly excited by them I tugged gently on his neck to let him know I was in charge. I have no idea if that is why he knew they were mine but its what I did. When I had rabbit before about 5 years ago I had a baby rabbit escape and I could not catch it. My cats ignored it, even though the male cat of mine catch and a the wild rabbits. Eventually that baby rabbit disappeared I spent a week trying to catch it but I was too out of shape. I assume a stray cat eventually got it. this is why I do not do hanging cages anymore, the escaped rabbits will not go back into a cage that is hanging. so I am doing pens with pavers for a floor and they can't dig out.

I don’t clip wings. Some of my chickens go into trees at night. I let them do it. I have a ton of coops, but some just like to be natural.
I had Bantams that would roost in my carport and I let them for a few months until I found a headless bantam. Set my trap and caught a raccoon. Sometimes I get a stubborn chicken that will roost in a tree or outside and I get sick of retrieving them every night and I figure if they want to risk it and I do not absolutely need that chicken then go for it. Right now all my chickens are penned in because I am growing veggies this year... and for the first time in years I actually need to mow the back yard lol.

I had Bantams that would roost in my carport and I let them for a few months until I found a headless bantam. Set my trap and caught a raccoon. Sometimes I get a stubborn chicken that will roost in a tree or outside and I get sick of retrieving them every night and I figure if they want to risk it and I do not absolutely need that chicken then go for it. Right now all my chickens are penned in because I am growing veggies this year... and for the first time in years I actually need to mow the back yard lol.
My neighbors coonhound keeps away predators... that’s why I’m getting a coonhound that lives outside (it’ll sleep in the barn) and watches the farm for us when we move.

Back
Top Bottom