The Bunny Chat Thread - For Bunny Owners

Does anyone here know causes for a watery eye? Sorry for the long post lol...

I've posted about this before, I think, but I wanted to ask some questions again. My lionhead rabbit, around 11yo, has had some red/watery eye issues before. I've always linked it to weather--changes in weather, very hot weather (I live in FL so that's a problem here), or perhaps dryness in the air and maybe dust; from hay or maybe dirt (although our backyard is pretty sheltered so I doubt that).

However, today I have now cause for more questioning...his left eye (always the one that gets watery--the right not so much if at all) is pretty watery again, like, enough to dab away with a paper towel. The tears are a little cloudy, too. This is abnormal for his redness/wateryness I'm used to. Anyone know why this might be? (I can't rely on google -- I've done extensive research on this and they always want to give me the doom and gloom side of things :rolleyes:)

The weather is actually very nice today--warm, but the mornings have been cooler because of rain but we have a nice breeze. Also, it's wet so no chances of dust, and the weather has been like this for the past week or so so no sudden changes in weather. I'm gonna watch him for sure...hopefully it'll just clear up on its own...he hasn't had any kind of bad watery eyes in a while. They've been a bit red, but this is kind of odd.

My one other question is, does anyone know if there are any drops or something to help clear this up? I honestly don't even know if its bothering him or not, since he acts normal and doesn't seem bothered or in discomfort.

I've attached some pictures of his watery eye. It's 'filled up' like this much twice. Wasn't like this earlier this morning..
My cat does the same thing and the vet wasn’t concerned about. Sorry, that’s all I got.

I've posted about this before, I think, but I wanted to ask some questions again. My lionhead rabbit, around 11yo, has had some red/watery eye issues before. I've always linked it to weather--changes in weather, very hot weather (I live in FL so that's a problem here), or perhaps dryness in the air and maybe dust; from hay or maybe dirt (although our backyard is pretty sheltered so I doubt that).

However, today I have now cause for more questioning...his left eye (always the one that gets watery--the right not so much if at all) is pretty watery again, like, enough to dab away with a paper towel. The tears are a little cloudy, too. This is abnormal for his redness/wateryness I'm used to. Anyone know why this might be? (I can't rely on google -- I've done extensive research on this and they always want to give me the doom and gloom side of things :rolleyes:)

The weather is actually very nice today--warm, but the mornings have been cooler because of rain but we have a nice breeze. Also, it's wet so no chances of dust, and the weather has been like this for the past week or so so no sudden changes in weather. I'm gonna watch him for sure...hopefully it'll just clear up on its own...he hasn't had any kind of bad watery eyes in a while. They've been a bit red, but this is kind of odd.

My one other question is, does anyone know if there are any drops or something to help clear this up? I honestly don't even know if its bothering him or not, since he acts normal and doesn't seem bothered or in discomfort.

I've attached some pictures of his watery eye. It's 'filled up' like this much twice. Wasn't like this earlier this morning..
I do want to clarify you said 11 YEARS old?!? Wow. Good job :thumbsup

Causes could range from just dust to a slight eye deformity to infections, or physical injury. Hard to know without a lot of examination and potentially testing. So outside of a vet....

Two options; one is a freshly used chamomile tea bag pressed up against the eye for a few minutes a day to see if it clears up. I've had minor eye irritations go away this way. Should be obv but don't use one that's had sugars or milk or lemon or anything, just the teabag and hot water.

Two; Terramycin opthalmic ointment clears up bunny eye infections fast. It's like vaseline, with clean hands squeeze a lil on your finger, put it in the corner of the rabbits eye and wipe along the inside of the eyelid towards the edge, trying to get it all up in the mucus membranes along the eye and eyelids without hurting the eye. Do this twice a day for 2 days longer than the irritation lasts.

One of my rabbits eating an okra leaf. I took this picture for another thread but since it involves a rabbit I shared it here.

Attachments

• IMG_6675.JPG
    IMG_6675.JPG
    502 KB · Views: 5
My cat does the same thing and the vet wasn’t concerned about. Sorry, that’s all I got.
It's fine; I'm not really worried either, it's just baffling as to what causes this, because he's totally healthy and normal otherwise.

I do want to clarify you said 11 YEARS old?!? Wow. Good job
Ahaha thank you! Lion (that's his name) is a very hardy bunny. He's been sick like twice in his life so I'm not very surprised he's gotten to a good old age lol. I call him my grumpy old man. :lol:

Causes could range from just dust to a slight eye deformity to infections, or physical injury. Hard to know without a lot of examination and potentially testing. So outside of a vet....

Two options; one is a freshly used chamomile tea bag pressed up against the eye for a few minutes a day to see if it clears up. I've had minor eye irritations go away this way. Should be obv but don't use one that's had sugars or milk or lemon or anything, just the teabag and hot water.

Two; Terramycin opthalmic ointment clears up bunny eye infections fast. It's like vaseline, with clean hands squeeze a lil on your finger, put it in the corner of the rabbits eye and wipe along the inside of the eyelid towards the edge, trying to get it all up in the mucus membranes along the eye and eyelids without hurting the eye. Do this twice a day for 2 days longer than the irritation lasts.
Thank you for the help! I honestly have no idea what could have caused it. The only infection that could have possibly caused any eye issues would have been an ear infection he had last year. I've researched, looked and watched him, and studied his eyes (especially for cataracts) and can't see anything wrong. And it's not big enough that I feel we need to take him to the vet... Unless it gets worse. But his eye seemed to stay steady today, or I at least didn't see the milky tears anymore.

I will have to try your suggestions, though, so thank you for suggesting them! :)

Bugs is weak. I feel his spine it's really pointy. I fees him a mix of carrots apples cucumber corn husk new grass sprouting in our garden and I'm growing wheat grass for him too. Wht can i do to make him healthier I cant find many leafy greens except spinach here they are hard to find. People don't buy them.

Bugs is weak. I feel his spine it's really pointy. I fees him a mix of carrots apples cucumber corn husk new grass sprouting in our garden and I'm growing wheat grass for him too. Wht can i do to make him healthier I cant find many leafy greens except spinach here they are hard to find. People don't buy them.
Do you have pellets for him?

Can you order food from Amazon?

Back
Top Bottom