The Bunny Chat Thread - For Bunny Owners

@FortCluck Not sure if I've mentioned it before but if you're going to learn to process an animal rabbits are a GREAT place to start. They're very easy, hard to mess up any part of it TBH. FAR easier than a chicken. I learned from youtube videos and did it myself with no prior animal processing experience. I have a specific video I suggest to people learning how as well. It's very good.

@FortCluck Not sure if I've mentioned it before but if you're going to learn to process an animal rabbits are a GREAT place to start. They're very easy, hard to mess up any part of it TBH. FAR easier than a chicken. I learned from youtube videos and did it myself with no prior animal processing experience. I have a specific video I suggest to people learning how as well. It's very good.
Maybe someday I will have the guts to do it, I have processed a lot of chickens and I find them to be easy so if rabbits are easier that would be awesome.
Maybe someday I will have the guts to do it, I have processed a lot of chickens and I find them to be easy so if rabbits are easier that would be awesome

I guess right now I just look at my bunnies and I don’t think I could ever process them. Its probably because I have an emotional attachment to them and they have a name.

I don’t know how I got so lucky to have three females and the person I got them from doesn’t sex them.

My black bunnies are so chubby 🤣

I'm looking forward to processing some rabbits soon, myself, actually. :T When you start raising them it's like chickens - they're cute chicks, they're fine as they get lanky, and then they hit teenage and you're just SO ready to me done with them. They kick, they try to mount each other, they spray, they don't like being touched, they loose their baby charm... It gets a lot easier when you raise them with that intention and see how bratty they get.

Hey y'all! I'm new to the thread!😁
I'll introduce mine!
Ash (mini rex buck)
20201007_121145.jpg

Willow (mini rex doe)
20201007_115134.jpg

Laurel (holland lop buck)
20201016_180535.jpg

Olive (holland lop doe)
20201001_172644.jpg

Babies (Willow x Ash)
20201007_114407.jpg
20201007_113333.jpg

You crack me up. My bunnies are just bunnies 🤣 I’m not breeding. I did want to and wanted to butcher some, but I’m not sure if I have the you know whats to do it.
I saw videos of butchered rabbits and it is very easy... but I doubt I can do it because I am a cat lover and they look too much like cats. I am determined to do it for the sake of knowing how to do it even though I do not like rabbit meat. There is a wheelchair guy in the neighborhood who helps me with phone calls since I am deaf so I produce foods for him. I will give him rabbit meat and learn a skill to feed myself if I am forced to eat only what I produce.

Fun fact, in other countries many wild game sellers DO slip cats in and advertise them as rabbits. 😬 The way you tell the difference is rabbits have offset kidneys and 12 ribs (three floating), cats have symmetrical kidneys and 13 ribs (one floating). For that reason many game sellers leave the kidneys attached on the rabbits.

I like rabbit meat so for us it's nice that they're so easy to process.

I saw videos of butchered rabbits and it is very easy... but I doubt I can do it because I am a cat lover and they look too much like cats. I am determined to do it for the sake of knowing how to do it even though I do not like rabbit meat. There is a wheelchair guy in the neighborhood who helps me with phone calls since I am deaf so I produce foods for him. I will give him rabbit meat and learn a skill to feed myself if I am forced to eat only what I produce.
I never knew that about you! Way to rise above it!

Fun fact, in other countries many wild game sellers DO slip cats in and advertise them as rabbits. 😬 The way you tell the difference is rabbits have offset kidneys and 12 ribs (three floating), cats have symmetrical kidneys and 13 ribs (one floating). For that reason many game sellers leave the kidneys attached on the rabbits.

I like rabbit meat so for us it's nice that they're so easy to process.
That made me laugh and get mad at the same time. That’s insane that they do that. Many countries eat cat as well. I don’t think I could ever do that.

I think I could eat cat if either A) Feral cats were a serious problem in my area especially to the point of being pests or interfering in my ability to feed myself and raise small livestock. B) I was very hungry, but not like crazy hungry, like maybe a day hungry. I'm pretty weak when it comes to food. :lau
In a lot of places, well, they're both. So they eat cats. And I can't blame them for it.

I think I could eat cat if either A) Feral cats were a serious problem in my area especially to the point of being pests or interfering in my ability to feed myself and raise small livestock. B) I was very hungry, but not like crazy hungry, like maybe a day hungry. I'm pretty weak when it comes to food. :lau
In a lot of places, well, they're both. So they eat cats. And I can't blame them for it.
I dont think I could. I dont think I could eat rabbit even.
I would eat a coyote if I was really hungry though. They're a nuisance and will eat small dogs in my area ☹

But any poultry, pork, beef, lamb, seafood, yum. I love meat. And I love animals. I have a soft spot for dogs, cats, and rabbits. Even though I'm allergic

Back
Top Bottom