The Calico/Aloha/Mottled Naked Neck Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by draye, Oct 10, 2015.

1. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Wow, she is incredibly beautiful!! Hope to have mottling show up in my flock again..

2. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    Is there mottling here????

[​IMG]

3. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas

Not yet on the sitting up. I having trouble sleeping as it is, but if they continue I may have too.

That's why I've got the traps, noting comes out alive if they actually get inside of them. A 20 gauge shotgun takes care of the clubbing.

If they find their way in tonight I'm going to try sitting out tomorrow night. I hope I don't have to do the shooting, can't see very well in the daylight don't know what I'd hit at night.

4. Kev

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California

Overly simple answer is almost everything black and white patterned is silver.

Light brahma, columbian wyandotte, columbian rock, silver duckwing, birchen modern game are all Silver.

The non- silver counterparts respectively are: buff brahma, black tail buff wyandotte and rock, red duckwing, brown red modern game.

A huge percentage of hatchery NN are still coming out buff black tail hens and medium red roosters with black tails. Are they a wrong color for your project? I picked up a bunch of hatchery stock turken pullet chicks from the feedstore a couple months ago, they are coming up black tail buff or black although the one cockerel is surprising me by turning out a mix of white/buff and one pullet is strangely colored.

If you like the javas, go for them.. It is your project so use what works best for you. Have you checked out the pinta asturianas(spelling??) there is a thread on here for them, seems to be a strongly mottled breed.

5. Kev

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California

She is not mottled, I think she is silver which is causing the light areas but has modifier genes that 'fight' the effects of silver to put in some brown/red pigments in.

6. jeffsmith13

jeffsmith13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2013
    Billings ,Mo
    I have mottled Houdans , hadn't thought about it until now but if I crossed a rooster with my black NN hen I may get mottled chicks with the Houdans comb which I like for winter.

7. jeffsmith13

jeffsmith13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2013
    Billings ,Mo
    Where are you in Kansas? I run to Fort Scott every other day, locomotive engineer

8. Kassaundra

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    I didn't think she was, but I have some crazy pattern mixes so just checking

9. Kassaundra

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    Mine have houdan in their heritage.

10. Kev

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California

That you do! I love the colors and patterns your birds produce.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by