The Calico/Aloha/Mottled Naked Neck Thread

Do not use columbian IF black tail buffs(same thing as buff columbian) are available.   They are the same genetic make up, the "columbian" in wyandottes and rocks are simply black tail buffs with the silver gene added. 

Using a columbian would be deliberately throwing in an extra unwanted gene(silver) if a buff columbian is available..  but is understandable if BTF/buff columbian is not available in the first place. Apparently black tail buff wyandottes didn't exist or are quite uncommon..   in that case all you need is to remove the silver and presto, black tail buff.

Also be aware if you want brighter buff, use wheaten(buff orpingtons, black tail buff turkens etc). If you like darker buff with grayish down at feather base then partridge is the way to go.

I didn't think of everything before I posted this.

I wasn't thinking of the Buff (hatchery) Turkens. Some reason I was thinking about the color of the Buff Brahmas. I didn't want to use feather legged birds, but that color. The dark stripes at the back if the neck area. Well if Turkens were fully feathered then it would be there. I just didn't think ahead.

It would be a good project though if someone wanted to create that color in a breed of chickens that it doesn't exist.

The buff Columbian ( black tailed buff) are getting harder to come by. A lot if the hatcheries are breeding to more colors than ever and that and the classic red are less and less coming in the batches they send out.

Okay the Columbian Rocks that @Yard full o' rocks bred from Light Brahmas, are they the silver then. That is the line that Cackle is now carrying.
Is the Wyandotte (Columbian) not based on silver then?

With the current inventory diwn here due to a the predators, I'm looking around for the right colors to get my calico NN going better.
Spangled, Buff Columbian, mottled, etc.

Hey what do you think about adding some mottled java blood. Do young think that the body type is too wrong for a NN?

Last edited:
Going to do checks again on Sunday or Monday this next week they will be about 4 1/2 weeks old then. I'll try to get pictures if the individual chicks to show the coloring.

Picture Day:
These are the 5 chicks that were hatched 9/17/15. They are 4 weeks old.
Red Mottled rooster x Mottled Partridge hen.

Picture 1:

This one will be a Mottled Partridge cockerel. The white splotchy feathers are indicators if the mottling to come.

Picture 2:

A Partridge pullet. Didn't see any white feathers in thus I've, but should carry tge mottling gene.

Picture 3:

A Mottled Partridge pullet. Not sure you can tell in photo but she does have a white feather just above one eye and there are several white ( small) feathers on the wing feathers.

Picture 4:

Partridge cockerel. Notice his bare neck? I saw just a whisk on one feather there. He most likely is a double gene carrier for the naked neck gene ( NA NA) I think. So any Naked Neck hen he is bred to regardless if bib or no bib all babies should hatch out naked necked.

Picture 5:

Another Mottled Partridge..

Me too.

Still having predator problem, it/they got my Aloha hen and my Calico Aloha hen both last night. If I can keep the rest alive I'll be able to get things back on track.

Me too.

Still having predator problem, it/they got my Aloha hen and my Calico Aloha hen both last night. If I can keep the rest alive I'll be able to get things back on track.

Holy moly - you've really had a tough time with this. Is it time to break out the electric fence options? (Or do you already have one of those...)

- Ant Farm

Holy moly - you've really had a tough time with this. Is it time to break out the electric fence options? (Or do you already have one of those...)

- Ant Farm 

I can get it easy enough. I just don't have wiring in my runs and sheds. I've got extension cords ran down there for light. The light doesn't seem to deter them any though.

I'm in possession of three live traps now with one steel jaw trap.

When I can get a hold of some poultry wire I'm going to try to retop the runs. I'm just out of money right now for extra stuff. I think I've got all the places fixed where they were and can get in. All traps set. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
I can get it easy enough. I just don't have wiring in my runs and sheds. I've got extension cords ran down there for light. The light doesn't seem to deter them any though.

I'm in possession of three live traps now with one steel jaw trap.

When I can get a hold of some poultry wire I'm going to try to retop the runs. I'm just out of money right now for extra stuff. I think I've got all the places fixed where they were and can get in. All traps set. Fingers crossed.

When I got my fencing (Kencove), I just bought the solar charger - but that was because I knew that I would need to move it around outside with a tractor, without access to a plug or extension cord. Not cheap, unfortunately, but the wired one wouldn't have made sense for me... Are you at the point of sitting up at night to catch them in the act? (Or recruiting friends/family to do so?) And, forgive my bluntness, but - hopefully whacking them on the head repeatedly until they stop moving?!?!
lol.png

Regardless, I'm crossing all my fingers and toes for you to get those buggers. It seems like they manage to target your best birds.
barnie.gif

fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

- Ant Farm

Back