The case of the missing chicken.

Wile E.

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 6, 2011
South Cryogenica
A mystery. I let the chickens out this morning, then I carried in an armload of firewood. When I came back out I noticed one hen was missing. Looked around and could not find her. So, I was wondering, was she gone last night and I didn't notice?

I figured something got her. I tried to chase the others back in but they were having none of it. I had to go to work, so I told the wife to keep an eye out and a gun handy.

My wife just called, and now they are all there.

So the mystery was never solved, but a happy ending anyway.

Does she have a hidden nest somewhere
wink.png

Quote:
I don't know. These chickens are about 6 months old. One has been laying for about a month. None of the others have. At least that is what I assume. I get about 5 eggs per week and never more than one a day, always in the same nest box.

They are Buff Orps. I just started letting them out to forage to save feed and because the weather has been ridiculously warm lately. I had let them out a little bit before, mainly on weekends when I was home. I was a little nervous because it was dark before I got home, who knows what might show up before I lock them in. We have owls around for sure, and something had been chewing on a road killed deer nearby. So I started letting them run and I get home about an hour after sundown. I put lights on a timer in the pen so they find their way back now. Before they just climbed up on the woodpile. Anything could have got them there.

I thought it was possible that one of the others just started laying and had a nest outside somewhere. I suppose I could watch tomorrow when I let them out, or leave them in for a few days.

Glad you found her, or she found you
gig.gif
It's kind of eggciting though. I'd be on an egg scavenger hunt. Keep us posted
caf.gif

Try looking for eggs under the firewood pile. They lay in the oddest places but typically they don't lay far from where they spend most of their time.

I had a chicken that would hid to lay her egg. One day I just watched her and finally found her nest. She had a nest in the middle of a blackberry patch. LOL She had at least 8 eggs in there. Once I got the eggs and a few scratches she stopped going in there. But I still watch her. she does not like to lay her eggs in the coop. IDK Y but oh well. They really do lay in odd places, and usually places that you would never think of too.

Still have not found her nest. I got two eggs in the coop on each of the last two days. So I know that 2 of the 4 hens are laying. I can't tell the hens apart. I let them out after getting two eggs thinking the problem was solved, and one was still disappearing. I saw her take off, and I thought well I already got her egg. After she was gone half an hour I realized she might still be sneaking off and that there are 3 hens laying. So I looked in the direction she went. Never found her or the nest. I know the general direction she went but no dice.

I will keep them in till the weekend and see if I can't break the habit.

I guess this is in the wrong forum, as it is not predator related, as I first assumed.

Back
Top Bottom