1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The case of the shrinking pale comb!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Schwartzfarmnc, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Schwartzfarmnc

Schwartzfarmnc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    I have a 32 week old Buff Orp that has been laying for almost 3 months now and after 2 doses of womer(the flock needed to be wormed) she has now stopped and her comb and waddles have become pale and even Shrank? [​IMG] I have 14 girls and 13 are laying very consistantly and these were wormed along with our Buff. We can try and give her a 3rd dose and my thinking is maybe she still has a small load of worms, but after 2 times with Valbezan I would think not. Has anyone else had this happen to one of your layers and what else can be done for her? She eats and drinks and poop just fine, free ranges well and nothing else has changed except she is not laying, is she just taking some off maybe, well any suggestions would be welcomed.

2. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    It's normal for the comb and wattles to shrink and go back to pink when a chicken stops laying. This can be due to going broody, molting or shorter day length. When the chicken gets ready to lay again, the comb and wattles turn red again.

It's pretty common for hens to molt in the fall. Usually, though, most pullets lay through their first fall and winter, without an interruption. So, I'm not quite sure what's going on with your pullet. Maybe she's just on a different schedule.

3. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    I read a thread here about pepper kernel putting 1 only in the top of the slit where eggs and poop comes out. The pepper is to itch or irritate the area so she pushes again to want to have eggs if that makes sense. Here is the link if you care to read it. I found it interesting. http://www.ehow.com/how_2241767_find-hen-lays-eggs.htmlm

Steve

4. Schwartzfarmnc

Schwartzfarmnc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    Quote:Don't you think it would be too early for her to start to molt @ 32 weeks?
    All others are laying consistantly, and she eats and drinks and does everything else as the others just no eggs now. We may try and worm her once more if it continues too long, just as a precaution, it has been very wet lately so she could have picked up some sort of parasite maybe?

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by