The cat's bit one of my chicks! Should I give penicilin?? Help!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nomizamir, Jul 25, 2016.

1. nomizamir

nomizamir New Egg

Jun 8, 2016
    I was shouting at the cat so loud that it dropped the chick and ran away..
    Now I have the chick, it didn't seem badly injured, it ran back to it's mom and siblings, but when I inspected it closely I noticed it has 2-3 scratches, where the cat held it in his jaws..
    it seems the skin is torn but it desn't seem deep.
    I cleaned it with isospray (iodine spray) and put him in a small cage inside the house so he can can heal..
    My concern is that it might get infected, I know there are a lot of bacteria in the cat's seliva and uner it's nails - I have some penicilin at home (for the sheep) but I don't know how much and how to administer to a little chick??
    Thanks you!!

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Yes, I would advise it. If it were me, I would give the chick one-quarter the dose you would give an adult bird. And make sure you do a full ten-day round.

You're right that a cat has a lot of bacteria that will rapidly cause death. My cat got into a fight with a neighbor cat, and each wounded the other, my cat on his ear. Twelve hours later, my cat was suffering from a raging infection on his ear, and the other cat died.

3. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    Yes. I do a lot of cat rescue work and I don't mess around with cat bites. Anything that draws blood gets antibiotics as I do not fancy a stay in the hospital. Scratches I just clean really well, although I have gotten cat scratch fever once and it was unpleasant.

4. nomizamir

nomizamir New Egg

Jun 8, 2016
    Thank you!! That's what I thought as well..
    But what is the right dose for a five - six weeks old chick?

5. nomizamir

nomizamir New Egg

Jun 8, 2016
    " I would give the chick one-quarter the dose you would give an adult bird." - what is the dose for an adult bird?
    -is it IM or SubC shot?
    -advice for size of needle?
    - duration of treatment?
    Thank you for any information!!!

6. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    Make sure you know how to give shots to birds as it is different from other animals. I would seek the advice from a vet on this chick.

7. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    When I give my birds antibiotics I use the amoxicillin oral gel caps. I give one whole 250mg cap to an adult bird. So if I had to dose a chick, I would break it open and divide it into four doses. Getting it into the chick is your next challenge, though.

With my adult chickens, when they have to get a pill, it gets buried in a dab of peanut butter. Maybe you can think of some treat your chick won't be able to resist you can disguise it in. But I think Choco is right - check with a vet. They may be able to provide you with the proper antibiotic in the proper dose for your little chick.

But there's no debate your chick needs to have a round, usually ten days to two weeks, of a broad spectrum antibiotic. There are also antibiotics that can be dispensed in their waterer, but I've never used those. I don't see how you can be sure of the proper dose giving it that way, although it's a dandy way to treat a whole flock that needs it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by