THE CHEEPS ALMOST GOT ME!!!

Pics

April Barta

Songster
Oct 16, 2017
Puyallup, WA
Oh my gosh... I went into Wilco (my local farm store) and I heard them calling me... "April" "April" "Pick me!" "Pick me!". I circled those babies for 30 minutes. I almost came home with some chicks. I just got chicks in November!!! These girls aren't laying yet and this by far is the longest wait ever and so why not? Why not more chicks? They are so cute! And fluffy! And I could hand pick the chicks (I got my others in the mail). It took every bit of willpower I had. I walked away guys. I WALKED AWAY! And then I went home and wanted to prank my husband. "Hey babe! So I got some new chicks today." And you know what he said?? "Oh, okay!" :idunnoHe didn't even care. So I told him I was kidding. And now I just want to drive back and get chicks. Someone slap me.

Oh my gosh... I went into Wilco (my local farm store) and I heard them calling me... "April" "April" "Pick me!" "Pick me!". I circled those babies for 30 minutes. I almost came home with some chicks. I just got chicks in November!!! These girls aren't laying yet and this by far is the longest wait ever and so why not? Why not more chicks? They are so cute! And fluffy! And I could hand pick the chicks (I got my others in the mail). It took every bit of willpower I had. I walked away guys. I WALKED AWAY! And then I went home and wanted to prank my husband. "Hey babe! So I got some new chicks today." And you know what he said?? "Oh, okay!" :idunnoHe didn't even care. So I told him I was kidding. And now I just want to drive back and get chicks. Someone slap me.

:lau :gigI'll slap ya, but its gonna be a high five. :highfive: Now go back first thing in the morning & get them!!! :wee

Intervention:
Our local feed store just had a deal last weekend of 5 free pullets (of their choice) with a sack of feed. Oh my, was that ever tempting after reading the ad that came by mail. So, I went into the feed store on the day before the sale. Funny thing is, I found myself closely following another gal who was quickly staking around all the bins with the heat lamps & chicks. She paused to look at who was following her & I said, "looks like I'm here for the same reason, my chick fix." We both laughed & agreed not to buy any & was happy to see that someone else had the same "chick fix" affliction. I jokingly (I think) said to my hubby, just to tease him 'cause he knows my past with chickens, "I think I'll pick up those 5 free pullets this weekend." He said, "you're obsessed again." Boy, he has a lot of nerve saying that & didn't even try the ole' reverse psychology. Oh...... he's right again!

Then I thought it over..........if I brought home those pullets, then I'd have to care for them in a brooder for wks, then put them in a pen in the coop to socialize, then....... Heck, those chicks wouldn't start laying until October or so. Furthermore, I have some 4 & 6 wk olds now to care for until integrating into the flock to start laying around Sept. here in Oregon. There, I talked myself out of it, came home, & admired what I had planned with the pullets in the coop now. It's so exciting when they start laying. Good luck with all that, I'm here if you need to talk it out & so are lots of other BYC'ers. Best wishes.

:lau :gigI'll slap ya, but its gonna be a high five. :highfive: Now go back first thing in the morning & get them!!! :wee
LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!! A high give! :highfive: What am I going to do??? I already have 17... should I really get more chicks?!?! Am I crazy? Why I am asking here makes no sense. You all are just as crazy if not crazier than me. We are not like a Chickens Anonymous. We are just feeding each others obsessions. Its like a bar for Alcoholics, except its chickens. :jumpy

Our local feed store just had a deal last weekend of 5 free pullets (of their choice) with a sack of feed. Oh my, was that ever tempting after reading the ad that came by mail. So, I went into the feed store on the day before the sale. Funny thing is, I found myself closely following another gal who was quickly staking around all the bins with the heat lamps & chicks. She paused to look at who was following her & I said, "looks like I'm here for the same reason, my chick fix." We both laughed & agreed not to buy any & was happy to see that someone else had the same "chick fix" affliction. I jokingly (I think) said to my hubby, just to tease him 'cause he knows my past with chickens, "I think I'll pick up those 5 free pullets this weekend." He said, "you're obsessed again." Boy, he has a lot of nerve saying that & didn't even try the ole' reverse psychology. Oh...... he's right again!

Then I thought it over..........if I brought home those pullets, then I'd have to care for them in a brooder for wks, then put them in a pen in the coop to socialize, then....... Heck, those chicks wouldn't start laying until October or so. Furthermore, I have some 4 & 6 wk olds now to care for until integrating into the flock to start laying around Sept. here in Oregon. There, I talked myself out of it, came home, & admired what I had planned with the pullets in the coop now. It's so exciting when they start laying. Good luck with all that, I'm here if you need to talk it out & so are lots of other BYC'ers. Best wishes.
THERE IT IS!!! Thank you! I need some REASONING! I'm over here thinking like "yeah lets do some silkies! I'll make husband make a small coop for the silkies and then I don't have to integrate them!" But you're right... constant temperature watching, butt watching, energy watching. Are they eating enough? Are they drinking enough? Is it warm enough? Do they like each other? Is that one turning into a roo? LOL It's too much. I done talked myself out of it. PHEW! Thank you! But just so you know... 5 FREE pullets, I would have gotten 2 bags of feed plus 10 peeps. :oops:

Back
Top Bottom