The chick project

Hi everyone. I found an egg outside (the last three or so days have been warmish but it is December) from Luna, my white leghorn hen. It had something inside! A little blob of pink stuff in the center. I found another egg and it was more developed, with what looked like a little eye (black spot in the center)
Are you sure they aren't meat spots? Unless you had a broody hen sit on them for a few days there is no possible way for a fertilized egg to begin developing.

What are meat spots? As for the broody hen I have several that free-range all day, so they could have been sitting on them.

What are meat spots? As for the broody hen I have several that free-range all day, so they could have been sitting on them.
Meat spots are small pieces of oviduct lining that wind up in an egg. They are generally found in the albumen. Blood spots can also occur if a small blood vessel ruptures during egg production. Both can be confused with developing fertilized eggs.

Unless a hen is sitting day and night on a nest of eggs, they aren't going to develop. Not this time of year anyway.

I threw out one egg because it looked like the embryo was dead. But egg #2 is still doing all right! He/she's visible as a pink blob. However the embryo is concentrated/lying on one side of the egg. I heard this is from not being turned, will this affect the hatch?

I threw out one egg because it looked like the embryo was dead. But egg #2 is still doing all right! He/she's visible as a pink blob. However the embryo is concentrated/lying on one side of the egg. I heard this is from not being turned, will this affect the hatch?
Can you get candling pictures? It doesn't sound viable.
Yes, embryos can get stuck to the side of the egg if not turned and it can affect hatch rate.

The egg has already been disposed of.
I do have four eggs in the incubator currently (three have babies already one I think is infertile), from my white leghorn hen Luna and my black/white mixbreed roo. I am guessing that they are about ten days old; my hen was hiding them in my brother's shed and incubating them, but it was really cold so i took them away (she also ate her last brood). The hen who laid the eggs did not incubate them, the non-laying, four-year-old mix did.
Does anyone have any idea what the chicks will look like? Or what breed genes they have? I know they have leghorn from mom and I'm pretty sure their dad has some langshan, but what do you guys think?
Also the air cell in the eggs seem to be getting bigger; does that mean they are closer to the hatch? I don't exactly know how old the eggs are, and my candler is not that powerful so only dull shapes appear; the egg is almost three quarters filled by the baby. How do I know when to stop turning?

Attachments

• caop.JPG
    caop.JPG
    868.6 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCF3830.JPG
    DSCF3830.JPG
    511.9 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom