the chicken coop and run (with pics)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by tygab, Jul 7, 2008.

1. tygab

tygab Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    MA/NH border
    well, it's not completely done but almost... we started this back in May and it's taken a while w/other things including a bigger fence project going on, but we're now within a day or so of completion.

So, still missing is door hw cloth, latch. finishing out coop interior (roosts, boxes (probably later this summer), floor), reattaching the ramp, pop door latch, and attaching bird net up top.

But, work started out with a Costco shed kit which was on sale in the spring... DH and my FIL took to the assembly with FIL's nice assortment of tools.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I sealed the doors and painted sides and trim (side shows chicken door and vents we added)...

[​IMG]

painted and ready for fencing:

[​IMG]

run mostly fenced in:

[​IMG]

Nothing interesting in the interior yet. I'll add once it is ready for habitation. I hope it will be pred proof enough... I think I saw a fox tonight! :eek:

[Edited to add, it will be inside another perimeter fence of woven wire but right now there are some gaps in that fencing (under the gates etc) we have to close up. We're going to run a hotwire from our main fence electric too.]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  2. CritterHill

CritterHill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    SE PA
    Wow, that looks really nice! Good luck with the fox, can he get to the chickens by digging under?

3. lewisfarmgurl

lewisfarmgurl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    south carolina
    I just love it!!!

Good job and keep us posted on the finished inside.[​IMG]

4. tygab

tygab Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    MA/NH border
    no, it shouldn't be able to... the perimeter is trenched with about 1 ft hw cloth bowed out all around, and we are going to put rocks at the base too (we have PLENTY of those). The door also has its own skirting of hw cloth. Higher up is chicken wire.

5. teddiliza

teddiliza Chillin' With My Peeps

Very cute!

6. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Very nice!

7. candyd

candyd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Corinth, NY
    I just showed my hubby this idea, it is really nice.

8. CarlaRiggs

CarlaRiggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Beautiful job! The coop looks great, and the hens will have room to wander about. Really a nice set-up.
    Thanks for the pics!

Carla

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by