The Chicken Run...is Done! NEW PICS!

Ok, it is up and functional.

I put cross-bracing in to make it more rigid. I used tees and offset them. They make a 4 way cross, but my local store does not carry them.

27420_tee.jpg

I made it just under 7 feet tall. I used 4 foot wide chicken wire fastened together horizontally so I could bury 8 or so inches around it. (I also put in 2 strands of barbed wire in the trench)

27420_side.jpg

I still have to put a door/hatch in one of the squares, but the chicks are using it now.

27420_run.jpg

I did put a tarp over a good section of it for shade & rain protection.

Last edited:
Nicw start!

My suggestion is to see if you can put rebar inside the PVC for the base. It will prevent the base from bowing and help weight it all down.

Quote:
It was very cheap, maybe spent $30 *without counting the wire*

*80 feet 3/4 sched 40 PVC
*34 tees
*14 90s (including the hatch not made yet)
*1/2 pint of glue

I found some clips and a tool to crip the clips at the Farmers Co-op. that are for fastening critter cages together. This was a life saver to attach the poultry wire togher. The tool was about $9 and the clips were $5.

Quote:
I used PVC glue to connect everything. I thought about the water, but was afraid of it freezing and busting the pipes.

After buring the wire at the base, it isn't going anywhere!

hey love the look of it i was hoping to see a few more pic of like the door you add and a look of the top of it i want to build the same thing and your pic would help me a lot of i want mess it up im not good at building things so it would help a lot to have the pic to go by your my new hero
lol.png

Oh I LOVE this!!! I need to build a tractor for my 5 week old chicks and I think this is an awesome idea! Just a couple of questions though... How did you attach the chicken wire to the pvc frame? Also how did you make a door for it?
LOVE the design!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom