The Chicken Shack - Construction

Super job! That's a beautiful setting. They'll get lots of yummy bugs in all that leaf litter too.
smile.png

Thanks everyone for the comments! This started out as something that was going to take me a "couple of weekends" and ended up taking 7-8 months! I think I coulda just bought a shed from home depot and cut out a hole in it.....lol. Probably woulda been cheaper.

Now, I just gotta figure out what to put in it. I purposely haven't done any research on chickens, food, etc. because I didn't want to get distracted from building the coop.....too late. LOL.

Any suggestions on chickens for North Texas ( Dallas area ) would be awesome! Looking for "as easy as possible & good 'potential' egg producers"
smile.png

Click on the breeds chart at the top of the page and go to index. You probably want one that is heat tolerant since your in Texas. It will also let you know about egg production and dual purpose chickens if your going to raise meat birds.

Just one comment/suggestion. Our ramp is pretty steep too. We had to add extra steps/cross pieces/cleats (whatever you want to call them) because the chickens kept slipping back when they tried to walk up. They are now about 6 inches apart. Yours look a little far apart to me in the pic.

Beautiful coop, run and scenery.

Quote:
Meat birds?????? Chickens are pets not food! LOL...well, at least ours will be.
wink.png

Quote:
Well, that is what I was afraid of. Just like the rest of this coop, that was poor planning.
smile.png

Quote:
Holy cow! Now I have all kinds of questions...LOL. I guess I need heat tolerant, good egg layer, doesn't mind cooped up?

Quote:
Well, that is what I was afraid of. Just like the rest of this coop, that was poor planning.
smile.png

Well, I didn't plan my ramp at all; just saw it laying around and thought "hey, that would make a great ramp". It's easy to fix and I'll take your poor planning results any time. It's really gorgeous.

Back
Top Bottom