The chicken song

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by C17, Sep 13, 2011.

1. C17

C17 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2011
    Blythewood
    I keep hearing that the girls has a chicken song before laying, can any one tell me or direct me to what it sounds like. My buff orp is 29 weeks and still no egg......maybe I have the wrong radio station playing

2. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    I think your talking about the egg song if so its just a loud series of bawks but you'll know it when you here it. Just remember some girls will practice for a while before they actually lay and some never say a word. But if your hearing it your gettin close. At 29 weeks she should be laying anytime just make sure she's getting a good balanced diet.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  3. maxxsmommy

maxxsmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2011
    Minnesota
    quoted by another member of the forum.. buk, buk buk buGAWK. buk, buk buk buGAWK. buk, buk buk buGAWK. Buk, buk buk buGAWk. Or some variation thereof. Thats what it sounds like. [​IMG] hope that helps a little

4. MommyMagpie

MommyMagpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Salem/Jarvisville, WV
    Previous poster has it right. My younger girls sing for their older flockmate, since she doesn't sing. They start when she goes in to lay, and don't quit until someone collects the egg.

5. upcdayz

upcdayz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Quote:There are several videos on You Tube that show hens singing the egg song. Here's one

6. C17

C17 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2011
    Blythewood
    Good info, thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by