The Chickens Haven't Been Laying Since Last Spring Help me Out Here

M To The Maxx

Baseball+Girls=Life
10 Years
Jul 24, 2009
Lutz,FL
The title says it all. They are fed scratch, layer pellets, and flock raiser. Coops are always clean. Help me out here people.
barnie.gif

Last edited:
i went through the same problem. then some people on here suggested i give my chickens crushed red pepper to increase laying! it really works and each one is laying an egg just about every day! u should try it

Quote:
Yeah I have heard about that too. How much do feed them at once? Do you crush up the whole pepper and feed it to them?

I have heard that but Im not sure of the dosage. I'd probably cull the slackers. They are really tasty
droolin.gif

If they are pets the yes culling could be considered cruel. But when you want something out of them its not cruel its smart.
smile.png

18 chickens and you are just now complaining, having fed them through the main laying part of the year? Unless they're awfully old, other than the 2 juveniles, you've got snakes or rats or chickens or someone eating your eggs -- or a human is taking them, or you haven't found where they are laying. I might keep a couple of nonproductive chickens during their retirement, but not that many. Even older hens should lay now and then. When were the juveniles born? Have they ever laid?

Quote:
1. The juveniles are only 3 months old
2. The oldest hen we have is like 3 years old
3. I know nobody is taking our eggs
4. We have no snakes
5. We have no rats either
6. The chickens don't even go near the egg boxes so nobody is eating any eggs
7. They are usually in there run so they can't lay in any "hiding spots"

Back
Top Bottom