The Chicks are getting restless

OCChicken

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 1, 2009
Our Chicks are now 4 (5 of them) and 5 (1) weeks old, and getting cramped in the brooder, i'm thinking of putting them out in the coop this weekend with the heat lamp at night, is this a good or bad idea? It will be in the 70's and 80's through the first of the week and then probably back to spring rain with lows in the low 50's. I don't want them to start getting annoyed and pecking eachother.

What do you think?

Thanks, OC

I heard that they should be fully feathered and at least 6 weeks old. It also depends on the warmth of the coop. Ours is nice and warm but leaky. The weather here is mild so I put them out at six weeks. I was a nervous wreck for a week. The love their new coop now and they still get along fine.

HUM...I'm not sure, we have 8 chicks (few days old) in a small brooder INSIDE!! AH!
he.gif
We are making a nice secure brooder outside this weekend.
wee.gif
As for WHEN they can go in the coop....I would assume, until they get their feathers and fly?
hu.gif

I also put in the container interesting things for them like a small bird roost and taped a piece of some thing like hard corn to the side for them to peak at. I even put a brick in it for them to stand on for fun. I taped a shoelace to it for peaking too. Maybe let them out in the sun a little during the day (their mother would) And once in a while, a piece of cooked spaghetti noodle that they would run around and fight over.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom