~The Cluckmazing Chat Thread~

WOW! German roulette? Never heard of it and I live here! I even asked my father-in-law and neither had he!
I love playing card games with my kids, family and friends. I play alot of Cribbage with my daughter, it was a way for her to learn to count quickly, but now she wins 7 out of 10 games. We also enjoy Uno, Skipbo and a rummy game that we know as Russian Rummy. Russian rummy, is now a "complete" family game. Meaning, I taught my wife's cousins (wives & husbands) how to play. It is now a family tradition to play during the Christmas holidays. In fact, we are playing tomorrow (26th) with about 9 players.
I just wished I had someone to play Euchre with me! Chest is also a family favorite....but we modified it so that the whole family plays....someone will set up a game in the hallway, and whenever someone walks by the table, they may move a piece, does not matter what color either. So here we are 5 people playing and it will last for weeks!

Well, I hoped everyone enjoyed themselves on Christmas! Did you get your ladies anything special? I refurbished an old ladder and sat it up in the run for my girls and my wife took out them a "Christmas dinner" tray with lots of veggies and fruit, they didn't know what to think! They looked at the tray, up at her, back at the tray and began running to it! This was after my son hung 4 different apples from strings in the run. All this special treatment, I hoped that they did not get worried and think, "Oh they are fattening us up so they can eat later!" But no, they are not be on our table anytime soon.
So what special treats, if any, did you get your flock?

Well, I hoped everyone enjoyed themselves on Christmas! Did you get your ladies anything special? I refurbished an old ladder and sat it up in the run for my girls and my wife took out them a "Christmas dinner" tray with lots of veggies and fruit, they didn't know what to think! They looked at the tray, up at her, back at the tray and began running to it! This was after my son hung 4 different apples from strings in the run. All this special treatment, I hoped that they did not get worried and think, "Oh they are fattening us up so they can eat later!" But no, they are not be on our table anytime soon.
So what special treats, if any, did you get your flock?
Mine got some alfalfa sprouts on Christmas:
sprouts for Christmas.jpg

Okay, I need some help! My wife asked me "what about the hens on New Year's Eve? Will it cause them problems?" Here in Germany, it is legal to have fireworks and firecrackers....and I'm not talking about the little stuff they have in the USA. I'm talking rockets that fly upto 150 meters high (500 feet)! And batteries of firecrackers, loud enough to wake the dead.
Now, our coop and run is visible from the street where we have always met with the neighbors shortly before midnight and this display of celebration will last for a solid 45 minutes.
So will this scare my girls and what if anything can I do to calm them down? And don't suggest that we don't celebrate, cause that will not happen!
Thank!

I found this game at a thrift store and liked it so much I found more On EBay to give as gifts. It's called German Roulette. One of the EBay games was called Alpen Roulette, and is slightly different. I think the picture is self explanatory, you spin the top, causing balls to hopefully land in the holes. Red ball is worth double.
View attachment 1986605
I used to play this as a kid! It looked slightly different though. My parents had a game collection in a case and it was in it. Cool! I had totally forgotten! Thanks for the memory!

Hey, @TheChiggens, facts 48 and 49 seem to contradict each other!:hmm
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
I have read that chickens can't taste spicy. An old wives' tale says if you put cayenne in their food they will lay in the winter. I tried it one winter. They didn't seem to notice the spiciness, but they didn't lay more either.

Back
Top Bottom