"The Coccidiosis in Chicks" thread

Thank you so much! Is that something I can get at TSC?

I got mine there.
thumbsup.gif

(Well, at my local one.)

Last edited:
I just lost a sixth chick this morning. They were all looking better, then yesterday this one started looking like she was feeling puny. Sure enough, she turned up dead this morning.
On the bright side, DH ordered me a couple dozen more to replace the half dozen that I lost. I'm so glad he's learning chicken math, 24+ is an adequate replacement for 6 or fewer chickens lost. =D

I'm planning on treating these with a prevention dose. Do I have to wait until they're three weeks old to do that? The one's I have now are not even three weeks old yet (they will be one Monday) and I've lost almost half of them, so I would be rather worried about waiting to treat the next set. KWIM?

I just lost a sixth chick this morning. They were all looking better, then yesterday this one started looking like she was feeling puny. Sure enough, she turned up dead this morning.
On the bright side, DH ordered me a couple dozen more to replace the half dozen that I lost. I'm so glad he's learning chicken math, 24+ is an adequate replacement for 6 or fewer chickens lost. =D

I'm planning on treating these with a prevention dose. Do I have to wait until they're three weeks old to do that? The one's I have now are not even three weeks old yet (they will be one Monday) and I've lost almost half of them, so I would be rather worried about waiting to treat the next set. KWIM?

I am so sorry!

Has anyone tried this?

http://www.jefferspet.com/products/coccivac-d2

I have had some chicks with gasping, noisy breathing, and some bloody droppings in the brooder. I had no treatment for them till my husband came home with some drops for coccidiosis. So I made a mash with scrambled eggs medicated chick starter, wheat germ, a bit of honey, and a tiny bit of milk. I fed it to sick and well chicks regardless. The well ones went wild for it. I had to force feed the sick ones the first time. Then I made it again in the afternoon and the sick ones ate it themselves. 2 of the three have stopped gasping for air and the bloody stools turned to normal looking poops by the afternoon. I also gave ACV and a little sugar in their water. Now I have cocci drops and have medicated by eye dropper. I hope they will pull through. The littlest chick is still gasping, but did eat.:(

I have had some chicks with gasping, noisy breathing, and some bloody droppings in the brooder. I had no treatment for them till my husband came home with some drops for coccidiosis. So I made a mash with scrambled eggs medicated chick starter, wheat germ, a bit of honey, and a tiny bit of milk. I fed it to sick and well chicks regardless. The well ones went wild for it. I had to force feed the sick ones the first time. Then I made it again in the afternoon and the sick ones ate it themselves. 2 of the three have stopped gasping for air and the bloody stools turned to normal looking poops by the afternoon. I also gave ACV and a little sugar in their water. Now I have cocci drops and have medicated by eye dropper. I hope they will pull through. The littlest chick is still gasping, but did eat.
sad.png
Get 20% corid powder and follow the treatment protocol I posted earlier.

Do not give them ACV during the treatment but after is great.

fl.gif
I hope they all recover!

I have had some chicks with gasping, noisy breathing, and some bloody droppings in the brooder. I had no treatment for them till my husband came home with some drops for coccidiosis. So I made a mash with scrambled eggs medicated chick starter, wheat germ, a bit of honey, and a tiny bit of milk. I fed it to sick and well chicks regardless. The well ones went wild for it. I had to force feed the sick ones the first time. Then I made it again in the afternoon and the sick ones ate it themselves. 2 of the three have stopped gasping for air and the bloody stools turned to normal looking poops by the afternoon. I also gave ACV and a little sugar in their water. Now I have cocci drops and have medicated by eye dropper. I hope they will pull through. The littlest chick is still gasping, but did eat.
sad.png

I've never had gasping or noisy breathing with coccidiosis.
I'm really glad they're eating on their own and doing better!
Hope the littlest one pulls through too!!!

I've never had gasping or noisy breathing with coccidiosis.
I'm really glad they're eating on their own and doing better!
Hope the littlest one pulls through too!!!

Yes I don't know what I am fighting here. I have a group of chicks with Araucanas and Orpingtons that I suspect have coccidiosis. Some just gasp and others have a cough/sneeze, runny eyes, and there are some with blood in their faeces. I have them quarantined. All other groups of chicks and adult birds are so far ok. I sent my husband to the livestock store and they sold him some drops called cocci vet by Vetafarm. It says for pigeons and ornamental birds. I googled it and it actually says it can treat all birds. The active constituents are amprolium 80g and Ethopabate 5.1g, the bottle is 50ml. Does anyone have experience here. I am in Australia and I hear you all talk of corrid, but the store didn't know anything else to prescribe. Advice ANYONE? :he

Back
Top Bottom