The Common “Horse Person” Mindset

Tinted

Songster
9 Years
Apr 17, 2010
Kentucky
I have been involved with horses for over a decade now, and where you have horses you will always have horse people. Through my years working with, riding, and training horses I have met hundreds of people just like me, and have dubbed them horse people. You see horse people are a breed apart from non-horse people in that being a horse person does not form from wealth or fame, but from a spark that unites us; our love of the equine. Horse people come from all walks of life and exist within all salary ranges, no dollar sign dictates a horse person. We are all “birds of a feather.” However the main point of this is that in 100 horse people I meet I may find 10 like minded horse people.

The equine world is so vast and unrestricted that often as not the other horse people I meet are vastly different in their “horse style” than I. Which brings in my point; of every horse person I meet, perhaps one or two will actually listen to what I have to say about the animal we share a passion for. Horse people tend to be stubbornly set in their ways, and refute any suggestion that what they are doing is not necessarily the “better” way of doing things. From my experience in the horse world this is a sad but utterly true fact that affects nearly 85% of horse people. We are quite literally the most close minded group of animal lovers that I know of. Each person believes that his or her way is the “BEST” way.

A recent example: On the “horse” section of a forum I often wander a member had posted pictures of a mare at her barn foaling. The mare and foal were lovely however; the stall was in my opinion much too narrow to be used as a foaling stall seeing as how the mares rump was pressed up on the stall wall and only about 2 feet of free space remained in front of her. All I could think of is if she had gone for a few good rolls in the wrong direction she and the foal could have easily become cast. We have had horses become cast and it take us a good hour or so to get them free, and I was just thinking of a mare in labor cast in her stall. *shudders*
I compliment the foal and the mare of course, and then bring up the fact of the narrow stall. I get a violent and aggressive reply informing me to shut my mouth they have been “breeding horses longer than I have been alive.” All I can think of when people bring that up is, “Just because you have been doing it for years, does not mean you have been doing it right.” Of course I hold my tongue and leave the thread, seeing as how I was almost certain she would have gotten a temper and gotten snappy once again.

I have been thinking about this fact lately and taken a personal vow never to be like that, I believe that every time I take the reins I have the ability to learn something new and perhaps something better. I will be “learning how to ride” until the day I am keel over...dead as a doornail. To me there is always something to be learned from ever ride and from every person I meet. Just wondering if there are any like minded horse people out there…

To me there is always something to be learned from ever ride and from every person I meet. Just wondering if there are any like minded horse people out there…

I will be learning new things until the day I die. Mainly with horses and other animals because animals are my main interest and the joy in life.
I'm a grandmother now, but I have always and will continue to befriend people that I can learn something from. To me that's what friendships in life are all about.
I can't handle spending time with people that only gossip about other people or talk about themselves. I get bored, restless and just can't get away fast enough.
I love animal people because there is always something to learn from them and their animals.
I think I know what you mean.​

Maybe it is the method of approach to a subject? Sharing opinions or discussions regarding types of care might lead to more open conversation than telling someone that they are doing it wrong. Get 100 horse people together and each of us will believe our way is the right way. Yes, I have learned from old and young alike. Novices and experienced horse people that can show me something logical. But, just because they believe their way is right, does not make it right for me and the horse that I am working or caring for. If I ever stop learning I will retire from horses, but after having them over 50 years it won't be any sooner than I have to.

Getting other horse people to listen is a lot like natural horsemanship, you need to make the right choice the easy option and let them find their way there.
wink.png

Dog breeders are the same way. Sometimes I think the animal world fosters some bat sh*t crazy people. lol

Oh I so agree with all of you! (Is that the easy way out or what?)
idunno.gif
I just found my head *nodding* with everything! Horse people, dog people or tortoise people all have their own opinions. I will add "parrot people" and "cat people" to that too!
barnie.gif
I am one of each and I definitely have my own opinions; but like you, feel I can always learn from others even if I think your way is "wrong"! It is all in the perception. Terri O

Quote:
Lol, this makes my point seeing as I am 100% against Natural Horsemanship, it has it finer points but overall I believe it to be a over advertised way to scam people. Though I did give it a shot at a clinic and at home, but found that I disliked it strongly and the program I used encouraged some behaviors that I simply do not tollerate in my horses for any reason. However, I gave NH a run for its money and did not simply refute it. I just dont think it is for me at all.

Quote:
Lol, this makes my point seeing as I am 100% against Natural Horsemanship, it has it finer points but overall I believe it to be a over advertised way to scam people. Though I did give it a shot at a clinic and at home, but found that I disliked it strongly and the program I used encouraged some behaviors that I simply do not tollerate in my horses for any reason. However, I gave NH a run for its money and did not simply refute it. I just dont think it is for me at all.

My trainer is into Parelli. Granted, she's not crazy and her horses are well-behaved and well trained, and she is helping me tons with the gelding, but...she bought a longe whip for $200. A longe whip. Although she calls it a "carrot stick". I'm sorry, but...there is really no difference between a carrot stick and a longe whip, is there. At least not to the horse! She also seems to have an agenda against my BO, as she runs a show barn and, yes, she rides her horses with spurs, weighted pads for the country pleasure competitors, and some of them have running martingales. I'm sorry, but none of these horses are abused simply because they are ridden with spurs. These are simple aids, nothing more. Do they have the ability to be misused? Most certainly! Same as a "carrot stick".
wink.png

Ah, didn't mean to fly into a NH rant. I agree it is way over-marketed. Good horsemanship is good horsemanship, doesn't matter what the heck you want to call it.

As far as the "_____ person" mentality...lol, yes. Especially in this state...for some reason, %95 of the horse people I've met are flaky and odd (and not in a good way). I am also a "parrot person" and a "cat person", and perhaps even a "snake person", but...I have to say, in these parts, the "horse person" personality type seems to be the most readily recognised.

I've learned to take what I can from all my teachers, horse-related or not, young or old, regardless of any minor disagreements. There is some stuff I don't agree with when it comes to my trainer, but there is a lot of valuable stuff she can teach me as well, so it's worth it. You know what they say -- one never stops learning, especially when it comes equines.
And especially when it comes to my problem child gelding...I want to prepare myself in every way possible. I will never have too many teachers, too much advice, or too many ideas.

Last edited:
Quote:
Cat people definitely. I once got banned from a cat forum because I admitted my cat was allowed to go outside to do his business. They pretty much told me that I either need to make him a house cat or leave. Needless to sayyy...
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom