The Confusing Quail Calculator..

Well I currently have mine in a colony setting due to lack of space (now) and a predator problem (rats). But I've gotten some interesting mutations that I sold to quaillady. In my pen are some whites, browns, goldens, cinnamons, tuxedos (both rosetta and dark range), and a few reds. I usually don't hatch them myself and haven't heard much feedback from others who have gotten them, but a few that I hatched last year were different. I ended up selling those to quaillady and she's trying to 'isolate' and expand on these characteristics. One of the ones I hatch last year looked like a white but instead of the brown markings this one had gold.
DSC00259.jpg

Then I had a few that were brown but had several white flight feathers when they first started getting their feathers.
DSC00180.jpg

These molted out almost completely, but not quite:
DSC00260.jpg

Other than these (and the occasional brown with a white 'bib' or white belly feathers) I've not noticed too many oddities. But like I said, I don't usually hatch them.

I assume that the first was a cross between a gold and a white and the second was a cross between a brown and a white. What's interesting about this is that gold is supposed to be dominant over brown and white and brown is supposed to be dominant over white. But when these were crossed (gold X white, brown X white) the white won out over the gold and the brown won out over the white, when in actuality both the gold and brown should have dominated the white causing a gold or brown bird with maybe a few white feathers.
smile.png

Quaillady is coming, I sent her a message. She likes to sleep late though so it might be later
smile.png

Quote:
Your website is already very helpful.

My questions:
Is the white in english whites recessive?
Is roux the same as cinnamon? If not is it recessive?

What is pansy? How would it look on a wildtype quail. is it recessive.

How would crosslings of Tibetan with Manchurian look (E/e+ Yw/yw+ to E/E Yw/Yw)
Note that my calculator uses the symbols Te (Tenenbrosus) and Go (Golden).

For all genes: are any of them sexlinked?

Do you happen to know what happens if one combines the silver genes with the golden/yellow genes?
SilverDF.jpg

Silver.jpg

How would you call these colors:
These are Yw/Yw and Yw/yw+ with another recessive diluting gene.
YellowDF.jpg

Yellow.jpg

Thanks in advance...
wink.png

Quote:

My questions:
Is the white in english whites recessive?
English Whites are recessive. The thing with English whites is, they are not white, they hide a second color and if you look closely, they are not white. The ones that hatch for us are heterozygotes.

The White (W) is autosomal dominant. Some of us experience a lot of deaths in offspring, especially in the Jumbo whites within the first three weeks. These are the homozygotes of the whites. These will have no spots, and will look white.

Like I mentioned, the white is not pure white, there will be diluted grey/silver lines on the outer margin of their contour feathers.

The heterozygous forms of the English Whites are used to produce tuxedos.

Is roux the same as cinnamon? If not is it recessive?

The roux dilute we have in the US is NOT cinnamon. Cinnamon is not available in the US.

Roux dilute is

What is pansy? How would it look on a wildtype quail. is it recessive.

Pansy is autosomal recessive to the wild type allele. They look like milli fleur birds in my opinion (Italian with more color, makes sense?) I will get you a photo. I don't have them but I have photos.

How would crosslings of Tibetan with Manchurian look (E/e+ Yw/yw+ to E/E Yw/Yw)
Note that my calculator uses the symbols Te (Tenenbrosus) and Go (Golden).

The Dark Range (Tibetan) and Gold genes created the Rosetta. The heterozygous form. The gold pinning on the black/brown body. We also get Scarlet, the red version of this. Manchurian is the name of the "invention". We are talking about the Fawn gene that causes the turn out. I will get the codes for you. Coffee is needed.

For all genes: are any of them sexlinked?

Yes, there is cinnamon sex linked, roux sex linked, sex-linked brown, those are what I have noticed so far in my studies.

Do you happen to know what happens if one combines the silver genes with the golden/yellow genes?

Let me get back to you on this. I have answers.

There is now a misunderstanding between silver and bleu (lavender). The silver is much different and to be honest they are so lethal, they won't last long...the bleu's are what people are oogling about.

http://kippenjungle.nl/jap/SilverDF.jpg

This is actually a bleu. Too dark for silver.

http://kippenjungle.nl/jap/Silver.jpg
this one is heterozygote for the white mutation. silver is odd. I would have to get back to you on it. I have my notes on it and would like to explain it after a cup of coffee
smile.png

How would you call these colors:
These are Yw/Yw and Yw/yw+ with another recessive diluting gene.
http://kippenjungle.nl/jap/YellowDF.jpg
http://kippenjungle.nl/jap/Yellow.jpg

Thanks in advance...
wink.png

Quote:

There is now a misunderstanding between silver and bleu (lavender). The silver is much different and to be honest they are so lethal, they won't last long...the bleu's are what people are oogling about.

http://kippenjungle.nl/jap/SilverDF.jpg

This is actually a bleu. Too dark for silver.

http://kippenjungle.nl/jap/Silver.jpg
this one is heterozygote for the white mutation. silver is odd. I would have to get back to you on it. I have my notes on it and would like to explain it after a cup of coffee
smile.png

Ok, so I'm getting "silvers" next week (finally!). Are they really silvers or are they blues? The photos are the parent stock and once I get my birds I'll take my own photos if that would help.

61415_silver_coturnix.jpg

Quote:

Ok, so I'm getting "silvers" next week (finally!). Are they really silvers or are they blues? The photos are the parent stock and once I get my birds I'll take my own photos if that would help.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/61415_silver_coturnix.jpg

Those are bleu/lavenders...the silver males will be almost white (heterozygous) and bred to homozygous hens (showing a light tint of silver) to produce viable silvers. That's why we don't see many of them... I Didn't say anything to your thread because I didn't want to cause arguments
smile.png

Thank you!

I would much rather have the correct information than spread the incorrect info. I know that the Coturnix seem to have so many different names for the same colour (at least they look like the same colour to me but I'm still learning) and I would rather have the proper terminology. I hope in the future that you will allow me to pick your brain on other bird colours as I get them!

Quote:
The Dark Range (Tibetan) and Gold genes created the Rosetta. The heterozygous form. The gold pinning on the black/brown body. We also get Scarlet, the red version of this. Manchurian is the name of the "invention". We are talking about the Fawn gene that causes the turn out. I will get the codes for you. Coffee is needed.

From the website I undestood:
Tibetan E/E yw+/yw+
Rosetta E/e+ yw+/yw+

Or are you saying that the gold gene (Yw) does NOT show on Tibetan or Rosetta?
Or that Rosetta needs the gold gene too => E/e+ Yw/yw+

Back
Top Bottom