The Confusing Quail Calculator..

I assumed they cannot be line bred, just like lavender or blue in chickens. What I am asking is if there is a known way to somehow isolate the genes that will result in said colors?? This is JUST to make a point, but say that birds carrying silver or blue had say.. a large middle toe, or weird colored beak.

Yano, is it completely random or are there things you can look for that through breeding will increase your chances of silver or blue?

Years ago I brought some Goldens that look totally different than some I got a couple months ago. My other birds were more tanish with dark spots and all the birds were pretty constant in color and markings. The ones I have now are allot more yellowish in color, with different variations in color. I even have a couple lighter females that have some tiny white feathers on their heads. I am wondering if these birds had been bred with possibly some white birds. They were all in a flight pen with a few brown birds, but no white ones. It seems that it is also harder for me to tell these males from females which I had no problem before. I now have golden, browns and A&Ms in the bator from a different source and plan to keep only my largest birds for breeders. After reading as much as possible on breeding of one color to another I have think I understand the result of breeding one color to another such as gold dominant over the other colors, but am wondering about what the next generation of off spring will be? If I breed a gold to brown and get gold, will I get gold birds out of these next crosses or will I have brown babies pop up from time to time from now on? I had noticed that someone selling eggs had mentioned that they did occasionally have a couple of white birds hatch out from their goldens. Is this common? I had planned to put the three colors of birds together of those I do not plan to keep in my breeding program and eat or sell off the off spring of the rest. Is this a bad idea as far as selling goes? Would I possibly get any interesting colors at first? Would you not eventually have almost all golden birds after a few generations?

Quote:
I bolded just the one question, and I can only offer a thought.. Not so much a REAL answer. I belive if this was the case and if the Gold gene is stabilized in the lines then when two birds who don't look Manchurian/Golden are bred, but both carry the genetics necessary for Golden/Manchurian should produce Manchurian offspring. I am no expert, but that could be the case, though I am almost sure that Gold is dominant.

Hi,

Just stumbled upon this topic.

I had a hard time compiling the data for this japanese quail calculator!
I couldn't find any website dedicated to fanciers quail genetics, except a german website.

So if anyone can point me to a helpfull site, please do.
There is expertise out there, you showed me that...
smile.png

If anyone has additional pictures I can use for the calculator, please offer them to me...
wink.png

Maybe we can make a quail genetics primer in this topic with pictures, etc...

Most confusing for me is all the fanciers' words for the colors.
Also whites and pieds are confusing. I don't know how many different pied genes there are.
Also in inheritance the genes for pied and white are often mixed, giving strange crossing results.

Let's crack the quail code
cool.png

Henk

I hope you get more help with the calculator, unfortunately, I currently no next to nothing on the colour genetics. Your calculator will be a great addition for us quail breeders just like your chicken calculator which I adore!

Back
Top Bottom