The cool chicken chat thread!

Hello people, ah it's 32 degrees here and it feels soooooooooooooooooooooooo good, I don't even have a heavy jacket on, just a t-shirt and a light coat. It's susposed to be near 50 next week.

Hello people, ah it's 32 degrees here and it feels soooooooooooooooooooooooo good, I don't even have a heavy jacket on, just a t-shirt and a light coat. It's susposed to be near 50 next week.

Cool, it's about 40 degrees here. In a couple days it's in the mid 40s. I agree it feels sooo good! :cd

Now it's in the 40's I don't even need a coat, just a thin sweatshirt. It seems spring is closer than expected, unless the polar vortex rears its head again.

Now it's in the 40's I don't even need a coat, just a thin sweatshirt. It seems spring is closer than expected, unless the polar vortex rears its head again.

Yeah, I hope spring comes soon.
I can't wait to let my chickens free range! :)

My chickens have free ranged (sort of) all winter. Their pen is built into my barn and the pen is about 30' x 20' (give or take a few feet) so they have lots of room considering there's only 11 birds in that pen. I open the barn doors that are closest to them and then let the chickens out of the pen, so they have the option of going outside (which few do in the winter) or explore the barn all day. They are safe in the barn( except if my dogs get out of the fenced yard) and it's dry so even if there's feet of snow outside, they can still "free range" in the barn. Now finding eggs that they have hidden in the hay loft and other places can be difficult, I even had a hen go missing in the barn and then come out 21 days later with chicks. We found her nest that was tucked away under a car hood that was on the ground.

That's cool that your chickens free range in your barn. What did your chicken who had chicks drink while she hatched her chicks... I'm just wondering. I checked eggs today and got 7 so far. How many have you gotten?

Last edited:
That's cool that your chickens free range in your barn. What did your chicken who had chicks drink while she hatched her chicks... I'm just wondering. I checked eggs today and got 7 so far. How many have you gotten?
The hen who hatched chicks could have came out when I wasn't out there and drank some of the barn cat's water. I got 2 eggs so far today, but they normally have all their eggs laid by 6:00 so I still could have more eggs to come. Yesterday I got 5 eggs out of 7 able hens, the rest of the hens are over 5 years old and only lay about an egg a couple weeks, if they even lay at all.

Back
Top Bottom