The Coolest Little Maggots EVER (Black Soldier Flies)

This looks really cool... Unfortunately, I don't think my mom will be up for any more insects... she's all bugged out with our cockroach and mealworm breeding endeavors.
I know how you feel, just try to create a completely sealed prototype and tell her is no chance of any getting out, then try to weigh the pros and cons out if that doesn't work then just build an outside system.

I used to put chicken poop from a small coop into a 5 gal bucket. I'd leave it open and just put it under the coop to keep rain out. Then I started covering it. Eventually there were all of these weird looking worm things that would be massed at the top when I opened it. They looked just like the SF larvae. The chickens loved them.

Do the flies escape when they become... flies?
My mom just ordered some, and I want to breed them, but she doesn't want flies all around the house. Outside is not an option. Getting to be in the teens now.
If you are going to farm them you will need an enclosure for them to breed and a light...they need sunlight. I read butterfly netting works for the enclosure.

Do the flies escape when they become... flies?
My mom just ordered some, and I want to breed them, but she doesn't want flies all around the house. Outside is not an option. Getting to be in the teens now.
As long as everything is properly secured they probably won't get out but if there's a gaping hole, they will fly out, just a disadvantage of having them but the pro's outweigh that in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom