The Coolest Little Maggots EVER (Black Soldier Flies)

Nov 19, 2017
Leduc County, Alberta
I've known about these awesome little guys for a while, I first encountered when I was researching ways to create compost and they are truly, amazing 1000 of them can go through a whole large cooked fish in just 12 hours, they practically burn through any compost AND, create tons of potential live feed for your chickens, AND give you beautiful garden soil. I highly recommend that you check em out. Anyways, I was researching ways to properly get a system going for them and it actually seems fairly simple, all you need is a plastic bin that is able to hold and drain some moisture from the compost and an upward going ramp so they can climb up into maybe another bin and pupate. The main problem I had was the fly stage of their life, The flies only live for a few days and need to be able to breed in that time span. What most people do is that have an area made with mesh or netting (similar to a butterfly enclosure) and have some sugar water out for them and corrugated cardboard so they can lay their eggs, BUT you also need like 1000 lumens of light otherwise they won't breed properly. But if you have all that down, you're essentially good to go. And you have a 3 in 1 super efficient system. Anyways I just wanted to share how cool they are and recommend that everyone should take a look at them and if you have any recommendations for me (because i'm still setting mine up) I will take a close look at them.
P.s. Apparently they are also food used for reptiles and they sell them at some pet stores

This is a pretty good site for info.
http://ie.unc.edu/files/2016/03/bsfl_how-to_guide.pdf

Last edited:
I've seen a set up with a barrel set on an angle. Then gutter used as a ramp for the larva to get out of the compost to pupate. On the other end of the ramp was a chicken feeding station...no pupating for those guys.

Check what weather conditions are needed. Flies and larva may not survive your winter. Indoors may be the only option for you.

I need to feed my worms. They are the quietest, most non demanding pets! MFB, even if your bin is dried up, and looks totally dead, if you water it, I bet you'll be back in business within a month. The egg cases can go dormant, and will hatch when conditions are right. I had my bin freeze one winter. All worms died. I took a friend down to the basement to show her the castings, and when I dug around in it, sure enough, there were a few hatchlings. The bin made a full recovery.

I need to feed my worms. They are the quietest, most non demanding pets! MFB, even if your bin is dried up, and looks totally dead, if you water it, I bet you'll be back in business within a month. The egg cases can go dormant, and will hatch when conditions are right. I had my bin freeze one winter. All worms died. I took a friend down to the basement to show her the castings, and when I dug around in it, sure enough, there were a few hatchlings. The bin made a full recovery.
That's awesome.
I think it's safe to say I've lost mine... that was 20 years ago...

Do the flies escape when they become... flies?
My mom just ordered some, and I want to breed them, but she doesn't want flies all around the house. Outside is not an option. Getting to be in the teens now.

I used to put chicken poop from a small coop into a 5 gal bucket. I'd leave it open and just put it under the coop to keep rain out. Then I started covering it. Eventually there were all of these weird looking worm things that would be massed at the top when I opened it. They looked just like the SF larvae. The chickens loved them.

Back
Top Bottom