1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The Coop is ALMOST finished...lots of pics!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by NewChickontheBawk, Sep 6, 2011.

1. NewChickontheBawk

NewChickontheBawk Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2011
    Virginia
    DH selected the site, away from the house, Eastward facing, good afternoon shade and started with 6x6 posts sunk 3 feet deep in concrete. Next came the framing...
    [​IMG]

Of course we put the kids (and their friends) to work....here my oldest is installing the VCT floor....[​IMG]

The walls going up.....[​IMG]

The walls are up....[​IMG]

At this point it had taken us about 1 month....and we had guests in the basement....[​IMG]

Next came the 1x1 hardware cloth rear windows....lots of ventilation....[​IMG] and more [​IMG]

More slave labor...[​IMG]

DH playing with his new pneumatic tools....[​IMG]

He shared with me...[​IMG]

DH put up the roof joists (with the help of a drywall lift)....[​IMG]

Roof complete and shingled....[​IMG]

The run (12x40) has been framed (4x4's) and is waiting the 1x2 hardward cloth....[​IMG]

Exterior from the driveway...[​IMG]

Interior is 12x20 (minus 40 s.f. for foyer/storage), the enclosed height is 9 ft.....[​IMG]
    You can see the roost, it's 6 feet high and a little over 5 feet wide, 18" spacing.

DH putting in the bedding....[​IMG]

Patsy exploring the roost...[​IMG]

"I know I put it here somewhere"....[​IMG]

Another interior shot...I don't have all their names up yet but yes, my chickens can read! [​IMG]

Pasty and Lucy...[​IMG]

Stella...[​IMG]

Patsy again.....[​IMG]

What a project and it's still not done. We have the wire for the run (galv 1x2") and are planning to complete it next weekend. DH ran the lines for the rear windows and popholes so I can control them from the "foyer/storage" area of the coop. We're also planning to install auto-waterers and feeders. We have our friend, who is an electrician, coming next weekend as well. We decided to run a dedicated 50 amp circuit to the coop. I have 6 GFI outlets, 2 light fixtures, 2 security lights, temp controlled roof fan and the "porch" light. We are on a well so we decided not to run water to it (I really wanted to though). We went with plexiglass popholes so we wouldn't have to deal with the wood swelling.

A HUGE thanks to everyone on this site. We were able to get tons of ideas and great information.

Just one question...have we missed anything?

Thanks!

Jen

2. dcouette

dcouette Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    Dryden, ON
    Wow, what a set up! Your chickens are very lucky! Great job!

3. ChickInDelight

ChickInDelight Never an Empty Nest

Apr 27, 2011
    Browntown, VA
    That is great! Your kids now have the skills to build people-houses too. They are not so different really, are they!?

Love the Exit signs!

4. ailurophile23

ailurophile23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    VA
    WOW!!! [​IMG]

If you missed anything, I can't find it. What a gorgeous (and functional) coop - I love some of the interior touches too.

5. NewChickontheBawk

Jul 16, 2011
    Virginia
    Quote:No they aren't! I tell my 14 year old he'd better watch it or he'll end up living out there!

6. riverchicks

riverchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    Very nice job and it is so big! I'm sure your girls will love it. May you be rewarded with many eggs when the time comes! [​IMG]

7. SimpleSonflower

SimpleSonflower Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    Gorgeous! How many chickens do you have? [​IMG]

8. jlesser

jlesser New Egg

Aug 11, 2011
    I am so jealous! [​IMG] I wish we could build one like you guys! [​IMG]

9. NewChickontheBawk

Jul 16, 2011
    Virginia
    Quote:Right now we have 22 (4 weeks old). I want more already though...

10. chicharomirinda

chicharomirinda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Reno, NV
    wonderful job!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by