The coop is done....now time to work on the RUN.

Maybe build your frame work level, lowest point of framing at highest point of ground, and the HC will just go past the lowest horizontal framing into your apron?
You could attach some 'dummy' verticals below bottom horizontal where needed to attach HC before it hits the ground.
Hope that makes sense.
Yea, that makes sense and isnt a bad idea at all. I'll need to see how it would effect the "door side" of the run.

That is exactly how I originally built my run, to compensate for a 10 inch slope. The end result, is that the run looks perfectly level although the ground is not.
Just to be clear, which method was the way you did it? Running the bottom boards along the ground and all others were leveled.... or Aarts idea of going level off the high point and adding boards underneath where needed?

I ran the very top boards first, making sure it was level. I then ran the subsequent boards also level. The bottom board only touches the ground at the highest point. At the lowest point the bottom board was a good 10 inches off the ground. I just ran the fencing skirt from the bottom board down and out.

I ran the very top boards first, making sure it was level. I then ran the subsequent boards also level. The bottom board only touches the ground at the highest point. At the lowest point the bottom board was a good 10 inches off the ground. I just ran the fencing skirt from the bottom board down and out.
Gotcha. I think im going to do this as well. Thanks guys.

A friend helped me get a lot done on the run today.

Here is the run currently. It's a 10' x 18' run, 7 feet high at the front and about 6 feet high in the back. I think the chickens are going to dig the shade.

I followed the advice i received on here and ran the base boards level from the higher post rather than following the ground as i originally planned. Really glad i did as things were much easier to cut and get square(ish).

So tomorrow i do the side and roof supports and build a door.

Love the run! It's looking great. I'm following closely. The area for our run slopes away from the coop so I'm going to have to compensate for that. Still not exactly sure how the best way will be for us.

I ran my bottom board on the ground, I just followed the contour. My top and middle boards are level with each other. I wanted it to be solid at ground level where my hardware cloth attached to the bottom board. I also have an apron of welded wire fence going out from the bottom board.

I ran my bottom board on the ground, I just followed the contour. My top and middle boards are level with each other. I wanted it to be solid at ground level where my hardware cloth attached to the bottom board. I also have an apron of welded wire fence going out from the bottom board.
My apron will also go to the ground and out. I'll be covering the apron with flagstone and other rocks from the property as well. My plan is to eventually add 10" boards along the entire base on the inside as i begin working on my deep litter.

Back
Top Bottom