The coop is done....now time to work on the RUN.

I think i'm dying.

Well, maybe not dying, but i am definitely going to need Advil and the hot tub tonight.

So i moved the flagstones, and a couple hundred rocks from around the property to the coop. I wish i had a picture of the yard to really drive home what an effort this was. Basically it's an acre lot, but not flat at all. On one side, where the rocks began, I had to take them down a hill about 25 feet in height. At the bottom of a hill is a dry creek bed running through the property. THEN, i had to take them to the coop, on the other side of the property...and yep...you guessed it.... back UP another hill about 25 feet high. Many trips with my trusty pull cart thing.

Anyway, i think it turned out pretty good. Flagstone pavers around the outside (except the front) and yard stones of all sizes around the inside and parts of the front. Next up is laying the mulch and leaves from the yard to start the run bedding.

I am laughing only because I moved a bunch of rock yesterday too. I basically have no soil, it's mostly rock that can only be dug up with a pick ax. Forget the shovel. I was pretty sore last night but I'm good today.

I don't know why I even in worrying about anything digging in this run. Thankfully I didn't have any hills :) your coop and run are looking great.

Thanks guys. Soon i can stop looking forward to the work week (because that's the only place i can rest!)

Question for you Aart (or anyone)... I was considering putting a covering over the last 6 or so feet in the back of the run so they they can still be outside if it's raining. My question is, if the area over the pop door isnt covered, will the chickens venture out in the rain to get to the dry area? My thinking is if the answer is no, then it's a wasted effort as the trees give plenty of shade.

That is where there water would be if that helps.

My chickens don't mind the rain at all. I think if you cover the first 6 feet over the pop door they would be more likely to venture out. I plan on doing a sort of deep litter method in the run, that will cover up all the wire.

My chickens don't mind the rain at all. I think if you cover the first 6 feet over the pop door they would be more likely to venture out. I plan on doing a sort of deep litter method in the run, that will cover up all the wire.
Agrees......and if it's raining , the shade is rather moot, is it not?

Some of my birds don't mind the rain, others don't seem to care for it.

Just a few minor updates. Not sure if this would be considered coop updates or run updates, so i posted in both (hope that's okay).

So inside the coop i added about 4 inches of sand. I am pretty sure the chickens will appreciate the time and effort i put into leveling it and creating a feng shui environment for them.

I also added the ramp to the the outside of the coop. Since i changed the location and direction of my run (from my original plans), i didn't like how close the ramp would be to the run door, so i made them a "porch" of sorts, and moved the ramp further inside the run.

I also wanted to be able to clean and rake the run without hitting the ramp, so i added hinges to it. Folds up neatly.

Back
Top Bottom