The Cornish Cross: “What is wrong with this picture?!” There is so much to think about in this arti

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is not the management of a small farm or even an urban farm management problem. It is the Cornish X chicken itself.
The Cornish Cross has been bred to put on weight at an astronomical rate, reaching 5 pounds of live weight by 42 days of age. The aim was to produce a bird that basically sits, eats, and grows quickly while producing a lot of breast meat. However, this incredible fast growth is detrimental to the birds welfare and health.

There is nothing wrong with growing "healthy" chickens that can sustain themselves. Seems logical and humane.

Gee. My Cornish X always looked and sounded happy and content. Not everybody likes to run around and be active. Take my brother-in-law for instance.....

Gee. My Cornish X always looked and sounded happy and content. Not everybody likes to run around and be active. Take my brother-in-law for instance.....

My Cornish X Are the opposite of everything I heard in this article. I agree it is in your management...

If they have those issues it is because of poor husbandry, not the birds themselves. They like to eat. if they have a buffet in front of them 24/7 they are going to become overweight and have several issues. They won't venture out for food if it is right there in front of them.

I kept two of my birds back from processing. Figured I'd try and see if I can make a slightly faster growing heritage breed by using two pullets. My first girl started laying at 18 weeks old. She lays an egg that rivals any leghorn of ISA brown.

She runs/jumps/flies and roosts with the other chickens. That is how they were raised.

I'm new to CX, was a duel purpose sorta chicken eater...stop laying or be a male or bully hen- I eat them lol.
We needed a lot more meat in a quicker period of time for our freezer and a better meat to feed ratio.

On my 2nd batch of CX now. I've had losses. Over half of those losses if not all of them are my fault. They are a much less forgiving breed than any of my layers ever. BUT still, their flavor is amazing, they fit my time schedule and ill work out my faults and save on the losses part by next batch. The meat to feed ratios and costs are so much better than my DPs.

All the chicks have been active, eating, growing, foraging, scratching, escape artist. They fight each other and chase each other for bugs and are pooping machines. They sleep when the lights are low and eat when the can see. Just like my other chicks but so much more bulky and clumbsy going about these things.
I'm thinking of growing out some Capons with next year's chicks. Haven't tried one yet. I'd want astrolopes for this I think. They came highly recommended from multiple trusted sources. But until them CX is what I like best so far for MY needs at the moment. If I had extra time I might be inclined towards Capons or a heritage dp.

I love seeing a CX grown out and laying! I just may hold one back and try lol my layers work and range for their food other than a scoop of FF. If CX pullet can hang with them she'll avoid the dinner table.

I'm new to CX, was a duel purpose sorta chicken eater...stop laying or be a male or bully hen- I eat them lol.
We needed a lot more meat in a quicker period of time for our freezer and a better meat to feed ratio.

On my 2nd batch of CX now. I've had losses. Over half of those losses if not all of them are my fault. They are a much less forgiving breed than any of my layers ever. BUT still, their flavor is amazing, they fit my time schedule and ill work out my faults and save on the losses part by next batch. The meat to feed ratios and costs are so much better than my DPs.

All the chicks have been active, eating, growing, foraging, scratching, escape artist. They fight each other and chase each other for bugs and are pooping machines. They sleep when the lights are low and eat when the can see. Just like my other chicks but so much more bulky and clumbsy going about these things.
I'm thinking of growing out some Capons with next year's chicks. Haven't tried one yet. I'd want astrolopes for this I think. They came highly recommended from multiple trusted sources. But until them CX is what I like best so far for MY needs at the moment. If I had extra time I might be inclined towards Capons or a heritage dp.

I love seeing a CX grown out and laying! I just may hold one back and try lol my layers work and range for their food other than a scoop of FF. If CX pullet can hang with them she'll avoid the dinner table.
Hold back one of your smaller ones :) Big Bertha was very food submissive, which says a lot for the CX. She doesn't fight the others for feed. She is polite, which made her one of my smaller girls at first butcher round.

After they were out of the way, she started packing on the weight. Not too much though. I need to keep her healthy.

One would have to admit that Cornish X has problems. All the accolades in the universe cannot take away what the industry has done to the breed. Inherently, there is a problem.

One would have to admit that Cornish X has problems. All the accolades in the universe cannot take away what the industry has done to the breed. Inherently, there is a problem.
Done WHAT to the breed? The industry developed a fast growing efficient meat chicken that requires less feed per pound of gain than any other and is ready for the table in just a few weeks. Seems to me they have done a pretty good job. Cornish X are not meant to be long lived. They don't need to be. If you want a long lived dual purpose chicken, don't raise Cornish X. If you want a meat chicken that will give you the most for your money, the Cornish X is the logical choice. The only problem with it is the people who don't bother to learn how to properly feed and care for them and who keep trying to make the Cornish X into something it is not.

Done WHAT to the breed? The industry developed a fast growing efficient meat chicken that requires less feed per pound of gain than any other and is ready for the table in just a few weeks. Seems to me they have done a pretty good job. Cornish X are not meant to be long lived. They don't need to be. If you want a long lived dual purpose chicken, don't raise Cornish X. If you want a meat chicken that will give you the most for your money, the Cornish X is the logical choice. The only problem with it is the people who don't bother to learn how to properly feed and care for them and who keep trying to make the Cornish X into something it is not.
SO TRUE.

I think the biggest problem with the Cornish X is the ability to reach over and get more food. Not even moving. KEEP the food to once or twice a day, all they can eat in just a few minutes. Then put it away. Make sense?
tongue2.gif

can those with good experiences raising CX detail their feeding schedule? The typical hatchery "recommended" schedule (I believe) is 24hr light+food for 2 weeks, then 12 on/12 off light+food.

If you are raising them on pasture however, you would set the feed 1 - 2 x per day (?) for .. 30min at a time? or how long? Formulating our meatbird plan for next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom