The cost of desserts - I am SHOCKED!

Quote:
$50 may be too much money FOR YOUR budget, but it may very well be "small change" to other people. It may be ridiculous for you, but that doesn't mean it's ridiculous for everyone. If I take home four figures each week, it's not ridiculous FOR ME to drop $50 on a cheesecake for a special occasion. Therefore, it is not "universally ridiculous."

I think that if everyone just added "for me" or "to me" to the end of their sentences they would see the difference between making an absolute judgment and a personal judgment. Confusing the two turns personal preference into intolerance of alternatives. If people do something with their own money for themselves that you wouldn't do, that's just fine -- personal freedom, choice, live and let live.

smile.png

Ummmm, no! Our household income is around $200,000 per year. I would not buy a $50 cheesecake, period. Just because someone can afford it doesn't mean it is a reasonable price. Its apparently a status symbol used at special occasions. I think its unreasonable. Obviously, people buy plenty of them or they wouldn't still be selling them. Everyone has their opinion. You think it's worth it, I don't.

Last edited:
Quote:
Oh I have healthy alternative for you: Activia Desserts Blueberry Cheesecake. It is to DIE for!!!! And no it doesn't work, but who cares. That is the best yogurt I have ever tasted.

I ADORE Cheesecake Factory vanilla bean cheesecake. On the rare occasion we went there, (dh and I), we would skip the app, split 1 order of chicken littles for our meal, and share a piece of cheesecake.

I would strongly consider buying a whole cake, simply because I know it comes frozen and I could probably make it last a long time by taking out one slice at a time once in a while. But, that's me sitting many hours from a CCF, so there's not a real possibility of that happening.

I make a delish sour cream cheesecake. Maybe I should do that soon...

I wouldn't pay five dollars for a cheesecake or pretty much any other desert from a store or restaurant. To me they are just plain yucky. A lot, obviously not all, home made deserts are just plain yucky and I wouldn't buy them either. There seems to be two main reasons for this.

One, the ingredients put into the deserts are low quality; not usually by choice but because most people don't know the difference any more since the stores have been selling crap for a coon's age; cocoa powder for example. I see very few chocolate cakes that even look or taste chocolaty these days; pale imitations. Spices seem to be lacking in a lot of baking these days as well and what passes for fruit fillings...
sickbyc.gif

Two, most cakes/pie doughs made commercially, including many bakeries, have this lovely plastic lard stuff in them which extends their shelf life and has a # for a name. Learned that in cooking school during commercial baking class. Real eye opener for me.

Some one wants to pay $50.00 for a cheesecake I have no problem with that; they are supporting someone's buisiness and have their own personal reasons for buying that cake and they obviously plan to enjoy it. I wouldn't do it, but I am pretty sure that I do things that no one else would do, as well.

Quote:
I'd pay $18, but no way in h-e-double toothpicks would I EVER pay $50 for a dessert. I could buy a prime rib for that.

My husband has a saying for stuff that's way overpriced, but ummm, it's not appropriate for our viewing audience here.
lol.png

But you wouldn't need toothpicks for cheesecake but you would for prime rib though. giggle giggle. uh, got any prime rib to share?

darn you all for making me hungry! oh wait, it's dinner time...no wonder....

Quote:
Oh I have healthy alternative for you: Activia Desserts Blueberry Cheesecake. It is to DIE for!!!! And no it doesn't work, but who cares. That is the best yogurt I have ever tasted.

cuz you ate it for 2 weeks and it didn't um, speed you along?
lol.png

The last time I went to the Cheesecake Factory, the food was really good and not overpriced. Their cheesecake is delicious, but very rich. When I go with friends we order one piece of it with forks for everyone. Two or three bites is all you need. This particular time we skipped dessert because everyone was doing their squeezing-into-the-swimsuit diet, but ordered coffee. The waitress brought it and my friend and I both said, "Miss, you brought us tea and we ordered coffee." She replied, "That IS coffee." It was the weakest excuse for coffee I've ever seen and it wasn't even hot. LOL...

Quote:

cuz you ate it for 2 weeks and it didn't um, speed you along?
lol.png

Nope, didn't work. But OMG it is sooo yummy!

Back
Top Bottom